Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, We are to develop an server application the main characteristics of which is such that it would receive data on a TCP from clients and commit those data to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Choosing a linux distribution

Hello,

We are to develop an server application the main characteristics of which is such that it would receive data on a TCP from clients
    and commit those data to a database. It has to be high performance application with thousands of record that can come on TCP and faster committing to the database.

I am looking for a Linux ditribution which would fit the requirements. I felt the MontaVista linux which is for carrier grade applications would be better.
    Can the forum please suggest which flavor would be better.

Also what is the hardware which can be chosen.

If the forum can lead me to any data points which gives an idea about the recent market share of different Linux distributions that would be great.

Thanks,
    Prabhu

Hello and Welcome!

Pretty much any distro could be used as a server. Check this poll to see some opinions of which ones some folks consider best suited to your needs. As far as the hardware goes, that will depend on your individual situation and/or budget.

Again, Welcome!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Hi Prabhu,
    Welcome to Linux Forums.
    You can always check the Linux Distro watch website for very good reviews of most Distro's
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    MontaVista linux, very cool, I had never heard of that one before.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

As has been said, any Linux distro can do what you want. When it comes to servers, RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) is popular for corporations, and Debian and Gentoo are also popular because they can be made very lightweight.

I have never heard of MontaVista Linux. Maybe it will do what you need, but I tend to shy away from unknown distros.