Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, im in south africa, cape town and very new to the open source spectrum. i managed to get hold of a copy of mandrakemove but i wish use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to setup a mail server from scatch???

hi all, im in south africa, cape town and very new to the open source spectrum. i managed to get hold of a copy of mandrakemove but i wish use & setup the os for networking use as a server & especially as a mail cause i've heard some great things about linux as a mail/web/proxy/firewall. but i have no idea at all how to do this, can anybody help me???

Linux Guru
    The first thing todo would be to install mandrake on your PC. Once you've done that install and configure the seperate HTTP/SMTP etc servers seperatly. There is plenty of documentation already available on the net for how to do this for each server, it would be pointless to re-write it all here.

To install apache with PHP: http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.php (see apache 1.3x and 2.0 pages)

To install sendmail visit sendmail.org

To install the squid HTTP Proxy visit http://www.squid-cache.org/ and follow the configuration guide and user guide links

etc etc

Just Joined!

Can that be done from runing the os from cd??

thanx for all the info & help!!!! i really appreciate it. but one last question. is there no way to set this all up using mandrakemove running from cd???

Just Joined!

Re: Can that be done from runing the os from cd??

Quote Originally Posted by war072
    thanx for all the info & help!!!! i really appreciate it. but one last question. is there no way to set this all up using mandrakemove running from cd???
    What would the benefits of that be compared to a normal harddisk installation of the server in your mind?

How would you and the users be satisfied with a slow running server on a cd-rom?

I think the question has merit as refreshing and original, but it's hard for me too see the point other than your server being a moving target