Find the answer to your Linux question:
There were a couple of updates available in Ubuntu this morning. One of them was for a package called "ttf-liberation". A set of serif, sans-serif and monospaced fonts from Red ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

TTF Liberation

There were a couple of updates available in Ubuntu this morning. One of them was for a package called "ttf-liberation".
    A set of serif, sans-serif and monospaced fonts from Red Hat with
    exactly the same metrics as the (non-free) Microsoft Times, Arial
    and Courier fonts, which implies those fonts can serve as a drop-in
    replacement. The font family is named Liberation.
    As a web designer, it would be a boon to have fonts in Linux that are the same metrics as Windows fonts. I have been adjusting the designs I do to accommodate Windows users (in terms of fonts) and sometimes things look off if I don't install the non-free TTF font packages. I doubt most Linux users install those packages and it would be great to have a set of fonts to add to the font-family that will look the same in Linux. Just one step closer to pixel-perfect

Anyhow, I'm wondering how to utilize these fonts. Has anyone who does web design experimented with them? Is this a somewhat standard package that is being used in newer Linux distros?

Linux Guru
    They have been around for some time.

There's nothing special about these fonts, you use them as any other font. If they are installed system-wide, then they should be usable from any program that can use ttf fonts.

If you mean, how to use it on web, it all depends of the browser you use. Usually your browser will have a way to specify the desired font for each of the standard families (sans, serif, fantasy and whatever else). Just use the corresponding liberation font for each type and it should work.

However, note that when rendering a page, fonts are just one of the elements. Each rendering engine will do the things in a different way, so, the only thing that will look like IE is IE. These fonts should take you a step closer, though.

Linux Newbie
    hi,

did you see the website at red hat https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/ or the wikipedia page Liberation fonts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia?
    maybe these have the info you're looking for.

cheers, kai