Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new in Linux. I am a Windows user. I found a software called "DriverMax" where it will backup all the drivers of the system. But that's only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Detecting Hardware Model / Type

Hi,

I am new in Linux. I am a Windows user. I found a software called "DriverMax" where it will backup all the drivers of the system. But that's only for Windows based drivers.

I am currently using my friend's pc to play around with Linux. Is there any software similar with DriverMax which allows me to detect the model / type of hardware that I am using and backup it all up into Linux or do you know any softwares that can detect the specific hardware model / type so that I can google it to download from the manufacturers sites?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Sorry. forgot to tell u guys. I want to convert the existing Windows to Linux. thus i need to reinstall all the drivers from Windows based to Linux based. I do not know all the specific brand and type of the hardware. Hope you guys can help me on this!

Thanks again

Linux drivers are held in the kernel almost all of the time except where a particular driver is not open source and cannot be included for legal reasons. Windows drivers will not work in Linux anyway.If you run a live disc you should get a feeling for which hardware works out of the box and what doesn't. Generally these days most things will work without interference.

If you use an nVidia card you may want to upgrade to the proprietary one to get the most out of it, that would be one exception to the above rule.

What distro do you want to try? I use Ubuntu and find it's great with hardware detection/drivers.

Just Joined!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Linux drivers are held in the kernel almost all of the time except where a particular driver is not open source and cannot be included for legal reasons. Windows drivers will not work in Linux anyway.If you run a live disc you should get a feeling for which hardware works out of the box and what doesn't. Generally these days most things will work without interference.

If you use an nVidia card you may want to upgrade to the proprietary one to get the most out of it, that would be one exception to the above rule.

What distro do you want to try? I use Ubuntu and find it's great with hardware detection/drivers.

Ic. becoz i just dont want to format without backing up anything. Just dont want to get stuck with a problem in some of the hardwares. As you mentioned earlier, UBuntu is great with hardware detection, I will try that out!

Thanks!