Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

trouble moving large directory

I am running a home serving using ubuntu server 8.04. I recently increased the size of my music folder. It now holds about 4,000 mp3's. When I tried to move them to my server from my main computer I get a "argument too long " error. I am assuming this is because the folder is so large now. I am using ssh to do this. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this?
    thanks.

Yes it is because of the large no. of files. You have to show us the command you're using before we can help you. Hint: It'll involve using the 'find' command.

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't explain it correctly. I uploaded the files without any problem to a tmp directory in the server home folder. The problem was in moving them from there to the /var/www/music folder. I figured out a way to do it that works. mv a*.mp3, it'll just take me twenty-seven commands to do it.
    If you have a better way, please let me know.

thanks, again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK, that makes it simple. You do it with the 'find' command as follows (I assuming /tmp was the temporary directory):

Code:
    find /tmp -type f -maxdepth 1 -name "*.mp3" -exec mv {} /var/www/music/ \;
    You can ' man find' to find out what each option does.

Thanks again. I had already moved them my long simple way. This will be a lesson I won't soon forget. But I guess that's the best way to learn the cli, by making mistakes and asking the questions.

Have a good day and thanks again.

Bob