Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, a friend of mine copied a cd with a windows software he checked that the data was there. He then formatted his hard drive and reinstalled windows when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recovering data from a CD that does not mount

Hello all,

a friend of mine copied a cd with a windows software he checked that the data was there. He then formatted his hard drive and reinstalled windows when he went to the cd there was no data on the CD.

He gave it to me the check if there is data on it. When you insert the cd in windows it seems that the CD is empty. I then tried the software Badcopy pro in windows and there seems to be data.

Then i tried to go to linux to extract the data from the CD. The CD does not mount when the CD is inserted.

i tried reading the cdrom with ddrescue and dd_rescue and also with dcfldd but they all give me the error that the disc is not mounted and no media was found.

i know that there is data on the cd as i can see it with badcopy pro but in the evaluation it does not let you retrieve the files.

what i wish to do is to copy sector by sector from the cd to a file on the hard disc then use a software like photorec to get the images. But the problem of extracting the data is the first step i need help with.

i wish to do this in linux so i will know in future how to do it.

any ideas will be very appriciated.

Just Joined!
    i know that there is data on the cd as i can see it with badcopy pro but in the evaluation it does not let you retrieve the files.
    If that software works, you can buy it and get your data back. What application was used to see that the data was there before the reinstall?