Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone help me figure out this linux challenge in my college. Challenge Details Previous Next Title On-line help system to complement the HowTo's and Man pages Description Part One ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Challenge ..Pls help

Can anyone help me figure out this linux challenge in my college.

Challenge Details

Previous Next

Title

On-line help system to complement the HowTo's and Man pages

Description

Part One: Create an engine for an online help system that:
    Parses a specific directory for help files identified by a specific file extension, i.e., ".hlp" and lists each file as well as subdirectories as links in a terminal window and browsers.
    Returns the title within each help file as a link to that file. Holds in state the contents of the directories and subdirectories and allows a return to the directory listing without hard links - this can be accomplished with a hot key sequence.
    Part Two: Create 150 mini-help files that:
    Use only H1, B, pre, p, HTML tags
    Use the ".hlp" file extension.
    The files are to be kept simple for two reasons:
    They can be written by people with absolutely no other markup skills other than rudimentary HTML and they can be simply dropped into a directory and will go live with the next use of the system.
    The H1 is used only once, at the top of the file, not only a title but as a link to the file when parsed by the mini-help engine.
    Each help file will be between 50 and 100 words long and cover the most used portions of the extant help systems, i.e.,
    "You get a ".tar.gzip" file ready to install by typing the command "gzip -dc the_file_name | tar -xvf -"
    Omit the quotes in the above lines and this command will install the software into its own directory for installation.
    See the tar and gzip man or info pages for more information."
    In this example the dozens of flags available for each tar and gzip are avoided, as they will probably not be used for some time (if ever) by the new sysadmin.
    The entire system should solve one simple issue:
    It should enable the new or junior sysadmin the ability to get up and running in the shortest amount of time possible.
    It should be portable across all network connections and should need no particular configuration to operate.
    It should use one of the commonly available scripting languages - python, perl, etc., for an engine with an eye towards an extremely small footprint.

Prerequisites

N / A

This thread is being locked and will be removed in a few hours.

Do your own homework. We do NOT contribute to people becoming less intelligent on these forums. We are here to benefit off of EACH OTHER's knowledge (not mooch), thus enhancing our own.

That's why this is against the rules.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy