Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right now I am using a windows 2000 domain controller that handles authentication and acts as my server for my home network. At any time I have at least 3-4 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help - Transitioning from a Windows to a Linux domain.

Right now I am using a windows 2000 domain controller that handles authentication and acts as my server for my home network. At any time I have at least 3-4 client PCs that I am using, but this tends to fluctuate quite a bit, and I expect it to grow sharply in the future. The client PCs must be windows-based simply because I write strategy guides for games, and use quite a few other applications, that are Windows only, as far as I know.

Anyway... this is my home setup, not some corporate network, and I just do this for security and access control (after all, when I have kids or other people over, they have no business being able to access any personal documents or financial information I may have).

That said, M$ seriously gouges people who want to run a domain controller. What idiot thought only businesses use that, I don't know. That said, it struck me that I believe a friend of mine one time mentioned he had switched out his windows domain controller with a linux one. I don't remember who it was, it was some time back, but I just figured why don't I do the same? Besides, I trust Linux to be more secure anyway, so it sounds like a good idea... and I really should start familiarizing myself with Linux anyway.

The only thing that I'm unsure of is can I do this? Am I remembering that correctly... Also how would I go about doing this, and what Linux iteration should I use? Personally, all I know is that I don't care for Red Hat ever since they went to whatever the heck new format it is that they are using now, but I am unsure beyond that. Please help. Any thoughts would help.

Just Joined!
    Samba is the tool to use. Google 'linux domain controller'; you'll get tons on returns.

Just Joined!
    And win2K machines can log in and you can control the access to shares at a user level? From what I can tell it looks like you can get nt machines to login, but all that I read seemed to talk about share-level access, and not user-level access.

Just Joined!
    The samba package includes extensive documentation (htmldocs, txt, faq's, etc). In a cursory examination, it seems that using PAM authentication, user level access is possible.

The newer verisons of samba can act as a PDC effectivly and its not uncommon at all to see them in corperations starting the Linux switch.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Well, what Linux version would you suggest then, for someone who is next-to-clueless when it comes to Linux, but has a reasonably firm grasp on computers? That is, someone who, back in the day, was a sr. tech at MS supporting DOS and who has, more or less, kept up since then on the MS side of things.

Just Joined!
    Probably any Linux distro would handle the job. What you need is the particular application to ease the setup. May I suggest Webmin? It will install on any Linux distro; several include it on their cd's, but don't install by default. Webmin has a samba setup module which might be what you need.

www.webmin.com. Don't let the .com mislead you. It's free (money-wise). The cost is entirely your time (as in the learning curve).

Just Joined!
    Wonderful, thanks! As far as a distro, for my needs, from what I can tell, it seems like Debian should work out well, I hope. Thanks again.