Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm about to start an intro to Linux course that I'll be TA-ing for the first time. The course has to cover Red Hat Linux, but besides that restriction I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Good Topics To Cover in an Intro to Linux course.

I'm about to start an intro to Linux course that I'll be TA-ing for the first time. The course has to cover Red Hat Linux, but besides that restriction I pretty much get to choose what to teach.

I thought I'd ask here to see what other people would expect to be taught in an intro to Linux course.

So, what would you expect to be covered in an intro to Linux course? I don't know the direction the course will go in yet, so I'm open to any ideas in any area: servers, networking, desktop Linux, security, basic UNIX principles, etc.

I'm curious to see what people feel is important to cover.

oz
    forum.guy
    Basic system administration should definitely be covered.

Check this page for some ideas on topics:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
    oz

File system layout (maybe compare it to Windows to give the students something they can relate to) including permissions (permissions are a much bigger deal in Linux than they are in Windows), package management, command-line shell, system services, and like ozar said: basic systems administration.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

There is a long thread with many suggestions here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...had-known.html ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )