Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do i boot from a grub shell? i'm trying to install opensolaris, and it keeps dropping me to a grub shell before booting on the computer I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

grub shell?

how do i boot from a grub shell? i'm trying to install opensolaris, and it keeps dropping me to a grub shell before booting on the computer I want to install it on (my laptop will boot it just fine). Is this a graphics card problem (I've had graphics card problems in the past). can I boot in graphics-safe mode (or in any mode) from a grub shell? thanks

how do i boot from a grub shell? i'm trying to install opensolaris, and it keeps dropping me to a grub shell before booting on the computer I want to install it on (my laptop will boot it just fine).
    Its not a Graphics Card problem. None of Installer drops at GRUB shell prompt. Have you installed any other OS in that machine? It looks like machine is booting up from Harddisk instead of Installation Media. Check BIOS. CD/DVD drive should be set as First Boot Device.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

hey, thanks for the reply. the bios is set to boot from CD. the reason i ask about the graphics card is I have Ubuntu on the system already, but in order to boot it, i had to force it to use xvesa over xorg. Also, I know the opensolaris grub menu does have a "graphical" background (a picture instead of just black), so I'm not sure if the card freaks and just drops me to the prompt.

However, I am reading more about the grub prompt to see if i can get it off the ground, I'll keep you posted on how that goes. If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them . Thanks again!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Does Grub you any option or displaying grub> prompt only?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

it drops me to the shell immediately. after doing some reading of others' problems with this, it seems maybe my cd-drive is affecting it (it's a usb drive, not a normal internal ide, which is having trouble being recognized by grub).