Find the answer to your Linux question:
My master hard drive is dual boot, XP (ntfs)and Linux (ext3) and I would now like to delete the Windows partition and increase the Linux partition. I would be grateful ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re-organizing partitions?

My master hard drive is dual boot, XP (ntfs)and Linux (ext3)
    and I would now like to delete the Windows partition and
    increase the Linux partition. I would be grateful if somebody
    would advise if this is possible and if so how to do it.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Yes, it can be done.

You can use the partitioning tool of your choice to delete the Windows partition(s) and expand the Linux partition(s), or move any partitions as needed. I'd personally recommend the PartedMagic LiveCD for doing this.

You'll also need to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and your /etc/fstab file to reflect any changes that you've made. You can use the PartedMagic disk for doing this as well.

It could prove to be quicker to reformat and do a fresh Linux install if that is an option for you.

Hope it all goes well.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you your reply Ozar. At the risk of sounding stupid could you please elaborate
    regarding editing /boot/grub/menu.lst file and your /etc/fstab file. I think I can mange the former but not at all familiar with the /etc/fstab file.

oz
    forum.guy
    You have current mount points listed in both files and when those change as a result of partitioning changes, those changes have to be reflected in each file or your system won't boot. If you leave your partition tables as they are now, no changes are needed, and Linux still boots, but you'd have empty partitions taking up space.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You have current mount points listed in both files and when those change as a result of partitioning changes, those changes have to be reflected in each file or your system won't boot. If you leave your partition tables as they are now, no changes are needed, and Linux still boots, but you'd have empty partitions taking up space.
    Thanks for your prompt replies. I appreciate it!

Just Joined!
    Plenty to think about Oz! Thanks for the explanations. Thinking about it.