Find the answer to your Linux question:
I run following command to tar file on linux CentOS 5: tar zcvf - /drbd.disk0/mysql/export/export.dmp 2>/dev/null | smbclient servername -Uuser%pwd -c "put - export.tar.gz" 1>/dev/null 2>&1 If I put file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

tar problem linux-windows

I run following command to tar file on linux CentOS 5:

tar zcvf - /drbd.disk0/mysql/export/export.dmp 2>/dev/null | smbclient servername -Uuser%pwd -c "put - export.tar.gz" 1>/dev/null 2>&1

If I put file back to linux, from windows servername, I can get back original untarred ungzipped correct file (export.dmp) with command:

tar zxvf export.tar.gz

If I copy file from servername on another winddows, I can't get back original file. I tryed with winzip, 7zip, winrar, at the end I ungzipped file with 7zip and used tar for windows:

tar xvf filename.tar

with error:

tar: Header contains "\200\000\000\000\000\000\000\005\265\270\244\ 266" where octal off_t value expected
    drbd.disk0/mysql/export/export.dmp
    tar: Skipping to next file header

Can be relative path ? can you help me ? We must make a tar gzipped files that can be verified on windows server (importing mysql backup).

Thank you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by letterfromhome View Post

tar xvf filename.tar

with error:

tar: Header contains "\200\000\000\000\000\000\000\005\265\270\244\ 266" where octal off_t value expected
    drbd.disk0/mysql/export/export.dmp
    tar: Skipping to next file header

Can be relative path ? can you help me ? We must make a tar gzipped files that can be verified on windows server (importing mysql backup).

Thank you.
    sorry for the necropost
    I had a VM created on linux with tar version 1.22 - I had the same issue with both tar.exe (from gnuwin32) and TUG-zip, but
    I managed to extract it using 7zip.exe (command line)

7zip x my-vm-image.tar

(still not sure exactly where the problem was - sigh!)