Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get a couple of drives in my system to sleep and stay asleep. They have other OS's on them, and I have no need to ever access ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hdparm UNmounted drive spins up

I'm trying to get a couple of drives in my system to sleep and stay asleep. They have other OS's on them, and I have no need to ever access them from linux. They are not mounted. I run hdparm -Y on them, and they go to standby. about 10 min later I can check them (hdparm -C) and they are active/idle again.
    What would cause an unmounted drive to spin up after being put to sleep?

Just Joined!
    I have the same problem, just that the time to spin up is less then a minute, so hdparm -S10 never spins down for me. I do have a "spare" (not used by default) swap partition on the drive and some RAID spare partitions, but even after removing the spares from the RAID arrays and doing "swapoff -a", it still spins up later.
    I am using ubuntu 9.04; maybe some magic hardware daemon is polling around every minute or so?

Just Joined!
    It turned out that disabling the hddtemp daemon solved my problem partially. Now, the drive will spin down at "hdparm -S2 ..." and stay so until disturbed manually, but it will not ever spin down for "hdparm -S3 ...".
    That is still a mistery to me, so if anyone has any suggestions why this happens, I would be glad to hear it...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close