Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is not so much as a problem, but has anybody had a drastic increase in download speed on Linux over windows? For example, on windows i was getting 20kb/s ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux-Windows Downloads

This is not so much as a problem, but has anybody had a drastic increase in download speed on Linux over windows?

For example, on windows i was getting 20kb/s on my wireless network, and without changing my computers location, or anybody else signing on/off the network, with no variables changed, i was getting in excess of 250kb/s and in brief intervals i was getting 500kb/s!!

Anybody else had something like this??

I'm glad Linux is working out for you, It sounds like Windows may be infected with spyware/adware, that will slow down your whole machine.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

It was actually a brand-new install of Windows, installed an hour ago... Not asking for solutions.. has anybody else had this happen to them?

Linux and Unix before it, were built to be used in Networks. As a result their networking implementations are far superior to windows, which were designed as standalone OS and discovered the importance of networks much later.

Thats a default behavior of Windows OS but difference in your case is too much. Windows OS reserves 20% bandwidth for system's internal use only and you can set it to 0% easily.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I have noticed that in general Linux distributions tend to have less overhead when downloading things, particularly if I'm in a command-line (rather than GUI) environment. The difference varies, but yes, it can happen.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants