I'm a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to linux, though I do have a couple of machines, toyed around a bit with very basic python and shell scripts and have worked on a freeBSD server... but ultimately it's become a hobby and devolved more into a "what if?" type of thing for me...

For example, I just built a linux powered laptop originally digital photoframe just because I had an old laptop laying around that wasn't doing anything... now I'm toying with another "what if?"

I was turned onto the idea of cluster computing by a friend of mine who was talking about Beowulf systems. Now, I have about three to five old machines that work, but aren't doing anything at the moment, and I plan on using them to build my first cluster, but I don't know what I want to do with said cluster...

My first thought is security, but turning it into an internet filter that uses real time scanning tools to insure network security for my home network, a bit overkill perhaps, but at least I'd be doing something with it...

My next thought was gaming. Figures, huh? Anyway, after researching I discovered Chromium which breaks down OpenGL apis to different chunks to span across multiple processors and gpus.. My question is, if I've interpreted this all correctly and broken it down into terms that help me analyze the situation, Chromium takes multiple computers and turns them all into one big graphics card for a front end machine which is hooked up to a back end machine which is supported by the cluster... so... my theory is... could I take a beowulf cluster, and hook up a chromium cluster to the master node? thereby essentially running two clusters, one for Graphical processing and one for Central processing?

Or am I being silly?

Frankly, I'm curious, and I'd rather have that curiosity satisfied by those who know rather than find out the hard way and suddenly be out many many hours and at least one machine

((Also, any tips for a cluster/internet gateway?))