Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings forum brothers and sisters. I recently purchased my first DVD Recorder, actually it's my first PC DVD ever. It took me half a day to get my wifes Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DVD-RW and ISO's

Greetings forum brothers and sisters.
    I recently purchased my first DVD Recorder, actually it's my first PC DVD ever. It took me half a day to get my wifes Windows system to play any movies, VLC did the trick for us. Anyhoo, it's a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-116DSV and my question is: If I download an .ISO (A Linux Distro) and burn it to DVD instead of CD-R, will it still work correctly? Or must I find a DVD version to download for DVD's?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

As far as I know TBob, from reading other posts on other forums, it doesn't make any difference if you use dvd or cd. Just that a dvds space will go to waste is all. I think the only difference on dvd iso's are that they come with a ton of stuff, which requires use of a dvd. No room to put them on a cd. I am going by just what I've read though, not from personal experience, so take what i say with a grain of salt, as Mom would say.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I once downloaded a CD iso of Ubuntu for my Dad, and, as he didn't have any blank CDs, I burnt it to a DVD. It worked just fine (except for the wasted space as rokytnji pointed out)
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Thanks for the replies fellows, the main reson I asked is because my CDR drive suddenly stopped booting, it'll still burn but it doesn't boot anymore. I can deal with the DVD "wasted space" issue.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.