Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
imma stick with my intel's to be honest....one thing that definately made me wander is after doing some reading and such the AMD64's well being pretty useless running XP *IE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

imma stick with my intel's to be honest....one thing that definately made me wander is after doing some reading and such the AMD64's well being pretty useless running XP *IE cause its a 32bit OS* until XP-64 comes out....shrug and we know how reliable they are (yes im thinking of you Mr. Service pack 2)....not many programs are written in 64bit yet not exactly sure how that would work out in XP-64 if u need special software.......but being a linux forum and all its good cause there are 64bit kernels.......on the other hand.....what is AMD's thinking here...you can only use DDR-400 with them? while the new intels are using DDR2 533 and faster... so correct me if im wrong it appears that even though the SID's in the intel chip might be more bloated persay gettin the information to the proc faster is a good thing

my experience is AMD's tend to do some things well....IE games and basic stuff but if you want some serious HP get a intel the number crunching is much better.........

but get what you can afford is what it ultimately comes down to, if you cant get a P4 get a AMD...

last i heard intel owns 80% of the market....granted prob a reason for that.... not sure if thats a good analogy thinking of how much of the OS market M$ owns....

Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Whats wrong with a Sempron they are replacing the AthlonXP's which where good chips, I have a Sempron 2300+ on my server and it runs just fine. What CPU intesive stuff do most people do that need a 4Ghz chip?
    What's wrong with the Sempron is that it's a 64-bit chip with half the cache of other 64-bit chips. It's the new bargain line. For me that's not worth the price difference over an AMD64. Again, these are just my experiences. If you like Semprons, more power to ya.

They are not however meant to replace the AthlonXP. That's what the AMD64 and AMD64-FX chips are doing. Semprons are bargain chips, meaning they are meant to replace the Duron line and compete with the Intel Celerons.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Whats wrong with a Sempron they are replacing the AthlonXP's which where good chips, I have a Sempron 2300+ on my server and it runs just fine. What CPU intesive stuff do most people do that need a 4Ghz chip?
    What's wrong with the Sempron is that it's a 64-bit chip with half the cache of other 64-bit chips. It's the new bargain line. For me that's not worth the price difference over an AMD64. Again, these are just my experiences. If you like Semprons, more power to ya.
    blaaaah toms hardware said that semprons were a athlon64 with the 64bit part removed... its designed to compete with the celery chips....i mean celeron

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub2m6
    imma stick with my intel's to be honest....one thing that definately made me wander is after doing some reading and such the AMD64's well being pretty useless running XP *IE cause its a 32bit OS*
    Where did you hear that? All the reviews I've read said that although the performance is better on an AMD64 when using a 64-bit OS (obviously), they're still quite able and well-performing with a 32-bit OS. Of course, I don't particularly give a damn about MS Windows performance. I use SuSE 64-bit and a number of other Linuxes.

what is AMD's thinking here...you can only use DDR-400 with them? while the new intels are using DDR2 533 and faster... so correct me if im wrong it appears that even though the SID's in the intel chip might be more bloated persay gettin the information to the proc faster is a good thing
    Overall system performance is more than just the sum of your RAM speed. There are quite a few things that come into play.

my experience is AMD's tend to do some things well....IE games and basic stuff but if you want some serious HP get a intel the number crunching is much better.........

but get what you can afford is what it ultimately comes down to, if you cant get a P4 get a AMD...
    Well, I respect your opinion but I completely disagree. What is this "serious HP" that you speak of? I've had excellent performance for gaming, multimedia, code compilation and server performance with both brands of chips, although the AMDs tend to outperform the Intels of the same speed. AMD is more than just a "bargain fall-back" in my opinion.

last i heard intel owns 80% of the market....granted prob a reason for that.... not sure if thats a good analogy thinking of how much of the OS market M$ owns....
    That depends on the market you're looking at. Intel does control 80% of the notebook market, but the desktop market is an even split. One major reason behind Intel's market share is their OEM partners like Dell that ship all their PCs with Intel processors. That doesn't mean people are picking Intel over AMD; it simply means people (in general) don't care one way or another and just buy what Dell gives them.

Also, I agree that market share is by no means a good gauge of the quality of a product, looking at the 91% domination of MS Windows in the OS market. If that analogy worked, I'd have no reason to use Linux.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I haven't used AMD for a long time but I can say that I would never buy AMD because it put me to too much trouble in the past -- again this is a personal judgement but I take Intel as far more stable generally . Games are another court but who is buying a computer only to play games ? I really can't say anything about the 64 bit AMD - haven't tried it (maybe it is excellent ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Goran
    Games are another court but who is buying a computer only to play games ?
    *Raises hand*

Working on one right now as a matter of fact. I'll post the specs in my profile once it's done.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Whow.... what a lively reactions
    Sorry I didn't react sooner.. some technical problems prevented that.

The new computer is intended to be used in the livingroom as a multimedia-computer: running movies (dvd/videocd), playing music (audio cd's/mp3's/ogg) and some graphical/general use (displaying pictures/internet browsing)...

I guess the main workload will be caused by the movies...

Just Joined!
    I allso prefer AMD....

Just Joined!
    wooohoooo way to pick apart my post teckiemoe lol.... read some reviews on toms hardware, that should help u get what suits you best.

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub2m6
    wooohoooo way to pick apart my post teckiemoe lol.... read some reviews on toms hardware, that should help u get what suits you best.
    Nothing personal, just trying to be thorough! Tom's hardware is a great hardware review site, and I've recently started reading Anandtech.com as well.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast