Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This is a LINUX forum so.. If you want to run linux just remember that the kernel was originally written for INTEL based systems and much of the code remains ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

This is a LINUX forum so.. If you want to run linux just remember that the kernel was originally written for INTEL based systems and much of the code remains the same. AMD is geared towards gamers, yes, meaning Windows systems. AMD has a much better implementation of 3Dnow.. 3Dfx or whatever that gamer stuff is. Intel tried to do this by cutting down the Pentium processor and releasing their Celeron.. thus making a cheap Pentium geared towards gamers. I work for an ISP and every server we have is an Intel. We had two servers (both Linux) running AMD processors and they just did not perform very well. They were replaced with Intel's and have not had a problem so far. One of our DNS servers is a Pentium 100 from a LONG time ago and is still running very well. Label me biased towards Intel if you like, but, during my experience with computers Intel really makes a difference.

A processor you probably dont hear much about is the VIA C3. It's a kick ass 370 pin with just a very small fan, uses little power, produces very little heat, runs at about 92 degrees, about 1.5 inches square. It is almost equivalent to a P3. I have mine clocked at 800MHz. It runs both Linux and Windows great.

jvx
    Just Joined!
    i would go for INTEL

i use and prefer AMD you get more for your money then just a name.....better performance and the benchmarks are there to prove it....just do a google seach for amd benchmarks

Just Joined!
    I have an AMD Athlon XP mobile, running in my desktop, clock speed? 2400Mhz, thats a 3600+. I is an AMD fan, they are cheaper, stablility, is not really a point of concern, they are both reliable. However, the Prescott p4's in some machines i serice, 79 degrees c IDLE! 79 I rang intel on this one, it is 'well within operating conditions. No offence intel, but if i were to remove teh heatsink or the fan, i could fry an egg on that. I thought u made CPU's not hotplates

I thought u made CPU's not hotplates
    i agree....my amd's never seen to get the hot!

Banned
    i use amd athlon chips 2000+ n 2200+ ma mom has a pentium 4 n ma chips r so much more flawless n smooth

Phewwwww.... it looks like the choice is a personal thing.

Both sides seem to have points...
    I've always been an Intel-man, so I guess I'll stick with it

I'm minaly looking at price, for CPU + the rest of the stuff (eg mobo). But also what I need (or simply want), eg, I want a 64-bit CPU, which is backwards compatible with the "old" 32-bit, currently there's only one manufacturer that has this (that's "in reach" for me and my wallet).
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Quote Originally Posted by scientica
    I'm minaly looking at price, for CPU + the rest of the stuff (eg mobo). But also what I need (or simply want), eg, I want a 64-bit CPU, which is backwards compatible with the "old" 32-bit, currently there's only one manufacturer that has this (that's "in reach" for me and my wallet).
    That's about what pushed me to the AMD64. I saw a decent motherboard/combo deal at Fry's Electronics and picked it up. Haven't regretted the decision.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3