Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, the trouble required to get this working has prompted me to make my notes available to others! So, for anyone trying to make an PClinuxOSiso using the "Linux Format" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lightbulb PClinuxOS jigdo iso creation using LXF DVD101 (Jan 2008)

Well, the trouble required to get this working has prompted me to make my notes available to others!

So, for anyone trying to make an PClinuxOSiso using the "Linux Format" magazine provided DVD... read on.

Specifically: DVD101 from Jan 2008.
    Distro of interest: PClinuxOS
    Problem: jigdo executable is not on the disk! Even though it should be, as everything tries to access it on the DVD as "/Essentials/Jigdo/jigdo-file".

Solution:

1. Download http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-bin-0.7.3.tar.bz2 from the atterer.net site.
    2. Extract to your home directory and you should get a directory /home/user/jigdo-bin-0.7.3" containing the jigdo binaries.
    3. Copy the script "mkiso" from the DVD ("media:/sr0/Distros/PCLinuxOS" in my case) to your home directory too, change its permissions to make it writable and open it in your favorite editor.
    4. Edit the file as follows:
    4.1 Change line 3 to point to your DVD drive root, i.e. DVDRoot='/media/LXFDVD101' in my case.
    4.2 Change line 36 to point to your newly-extracted jigdo-file binary, i.e. jigdofile=/home/user/jigdo-bin-0.7.3/jigdo-file in my case.
    5. Save the mkiso script.
    6. Open a terminal and run the ./mkiso script.
    7. You should see something like this:
    [user@unknown temp]$ ./mkiso
    Creating pclinuxos-2007.iso
    Found 75 of the 75 files required by the template
    Successfully created `/home/user//pclinuxos-2007.iso'
    ISO image written to /home/user//pclinuxos-2007.iso

Verifying MD5 checksums...
    pclinuxos-2007.iso: OK
    ISO images are good, and ready to burn to CD-R(W)

All is then well, and you have you iso. Time to burn all those apt-get package downloads to a DVD, so that you can pass that on too.

Why not just remaster my install? Yes, well, um remasterme doesn't work, even if I force the package back as suggested by some. Sigh.
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

This thread looks like a good candidate for the Tutorial Section. Nice post there
    sarlacii.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Yeah those LXF guys have loved jigdo for a long time now. I used to scratch my head over that one too.

Heh heh... well, the jigdo idea seems to work well for people who have never used Linux before and who just want to burn a copy of the distro - they see the magazine o nthe shelf at the bookstore and think, hmm, let's give this a go. Of course, the super-easy-to-understand LXF directions are no use to anyone if the jigdo binary isn't on the disk. LOL

rokytnji... thanks for the compliment, just not sure how many PCLOS people there are out there! But jokes aside, if the LXF guys (and any others who distribute distros via jigdo) make the same mistake every now and again, then perhaps the tut would help. Your call.
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.