Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi a friend wants to get into Linux on his little pc but from what I can see maybe he can because of the complex features of this pc. Here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

HTC Shift-what distro should I install?

Hi a friend wants to get into Linux on his little pc but from what I can see maybe he can because of the complex features of this pc. Here is some info on it: HTC ? Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products ? HTC Shift: Overview
    Got any advice?

Heres a video of running Ubuntu on a HTC Shift

http://mobilitysite.com/2008/07/ubuntu-in-a-htc-shift/

Edit: Here is a blog on HTC also

pofHQ Blog Archive Linux on HTC Shift
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Yes I saw that site but haven't been able to view the video because my internet speed is stepped down to dialup speed. Did it mention how he did it and what possible problems etc. I won't have full internet speed for a couple of days.

No, it doesn't. But the blog link I posted talks about using Wubi to install Ubuntu into Vista and how to enable features on phone and touchscreen.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

Great

Oh good this seems to be what we are wanting. Since my friend has a hopefully more experienced Linux friend I will get him to do all this. It will be a good challenge for him. I guess my friend was just concerned that if we stuffed up he wouldn't be able to get windows back. Basically he likes windows except that he says it takes too long to boot and he is understanding more about the downside of running antivirus software as apposed to not having to in linux. Also the general speed of Linux compared to windows impresses him especially when he saw my desktop running in front of him. I have DreamLinux on my Desktop and have used a few distros in the last year or so including Ubuntu. I have Xandros on my Eee pc.

Linux Newbie

Great

Oh good this seems to be what we are wanting. Since my friend has a hopefully more experienced Linux friend I will get him to do all this. It will be a good challenge for him. I guess my friend was just concerned that if we stuffed up he wouldn't be able to get windows back. Basically he likes windows except that he says it takes too long to boot and he is understanding more about the downside of running antivirus software as apposed to not having to in linux. Also the general speed of Linux compared to windows impresses him especially when he saw my desktop running in front of him. I have DreamLinux on my Desktop and have used a few distros in the last year or so including Ubuntu. I have Xandros on my Eee pc.
    So I gather we would need an external usb cd drive to do this? I know he hasn't got one and neither do I.

A Wubi installed Ubuntu system is one of the easiest ones to delete since it sits in Windows Vista as a guest Linux Operating System as a Windows File. There is a uninstall icon shortcut in that file which will uninstall Ubuntu without harming Vista at all. If you wish to be doubly safe, enable a System Restore point on the day before you install Wubi and download Ubuntu. That way you can open System Restore (I don't run Vista by the way and am trying to remember from when I used XP) and tell it to restore to your Vista state before Wubi. I would do this as a simple backup plan. Can't hurt. Google on how to set up a System Restore Point in Vista if you don't know how it's done.
    Good luck.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

So I gather we would need an external usb cd drive to do this?
    No you don't. Read the blog for the Wubi way of installing.

Installing Ubuntu From A Windows System With Wubi | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

Wow

Wow that is great. Now we just have to find him somewhere to download the iso. I am not sure but I think uses a usb modem and knowing Australian internet usage limits he may not have enough usage to do it. I certainly don't. How long would it take to download do you think. we have the slowest broadband speeds in the world. No really it is true. Plus him using wireless which is even worse in this country. We do have some wifi hotspots but i am not sure how much usage that will allow. I find the wifi hotspots very unreliable.
    What do you think? Btw thanks so far for your help this is great.

I don't know, because I live in the deserts of texas. Heck, we even have wifi hotspots at our interstate rest areas. I'm spoiled. I don't think the first download of the Wubi Installer will take to long as it is smaller than the Ubuntu Distro it will download. Think of Wubi as a Torrent link file to a download. Its not very big. The ubuntu it downloads will be big though. About 600 plus megabites. Its not a torrent download either, so don't think of it as being so. I just am trying to explain what the Wubi Installer is as far as size.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast