Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've been looking around but I can't seem to search the correct terms anywhere to get the results I'm looking for. Currently I've been somewhat forced to find a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Small Clean and Bootable?

Hello,

I've been looking around but I can't seem to search the correct terms anywhere to get the results I'm looking for. Currently I've been somewhat forced to find a backup solution for a server I've got. Due to some other issues, conventional backup software (such as Acronis True Image) don't work, and others (like Norton Ghost) take far too long. So I found an installation disk for Scientific Linux laying around, and popped it in to see what I could do. Turns out, everything that I want to be able to do, I can do with this disk. However, if would be most preferable if I could eliminate some of the options from the disk. For example, for my purposes, I don't need to be able to install the OS, all I need to do is start up the recovery mode, which brings me to a command prompt. My question comes down to this: Is there a way to be able to insert a CD, restart the machine, and have it boot straight into this command prompt without having to specify anything? Or, even better, does this exist somewhere already?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by woodz7107 View Post
    My question comes down to this: Is there a way to be able to insert a CD, restart the machine, and have it boot straight into this command prompt without having to specify anything? Or, even better, does this exist somewhere already?
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not certain what you mean, but there are lots of distros that already boot as liveCD's:

The LiveCD List

Not sure about Scientific's liveCD potential, though.
    oz

Just Joined!
    The best I way I can think to explain what I want is using Ubuntu. I know that if you're running Ubuntu and use the key combination 'ctrl-alt-backspace' it will kill X-Windows (or whatever Ubuntu uses to make its GUI) and brings you to a command prompt, which you can then use to make changes to ... whatever you'd like.

In essence, I would like a liveCD that doesn't try to run X-Windows, it just takes me to the above mentioned command prompt.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    That is certainly getting there. Assuming I can strip out a lot of the apps that it comes with. Honetsly, I don't want the cd to mount any drives or load anything outside of what is necessary to use the 'dd' command.

When I started looking I was under the assumption that I would need to to some customization, so I'm really looking for a solution that will cut down on the amount of customization needed. And of course it doesn't help that I'm not very proficient with Linux...I know a few command-line commands, but that's about it.

Anyway, thank you rokytnji, I'll look into what that can do for me.

If anyone else has something they might think will work as well, I'm open to any suggestions.