Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have partitioned a harddisk three times before-blank to Knoppix, added Debian, then added Windows XP, all on one computer, so by no means am I asking for a walkthrough ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Safely repartitioning harddisk without backup requirement

I have partitioned a harddisk three times before-blank to Knoppix, added Debian, then added Windows XP, all on one computer, so by no means am I asking for a walkthrough of the partitioning process.

I am planning to add a partition for Linux from Scratch onto a harddisk with an existing OS, Windows XP. However, when I searched online on how to add an partition using the lesser accommodating XP as the pre-existing system, each result warned that the existing partition would be destroyed, unless I created a backup of the system. I have five years worth of data on that harddisk, and lack sufficient disk space for a backup.

Using QtParted, I was able to add a partition to an harddisk with an existing system,(Debian), without destroying any data-at least according to my memory. I would like to be assured that there is a way to do just that when I am adding Linux to Windows, rather then the more familiar other way around...preferably without the employment of XP's standard partitioning program, Disk Management.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'd recommend trying the PartedMagic LiveCD. Just boot with it and use it to shrink/expand/create/move any partitions as necessary, and you should be good to go.

I've never heard of any backup requirement before, although it is usually a good idea to do so, if possible.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I supose I should of clarified-the way that it was written out on all the tutorials using Disk Manager, it sounded like you had to backup or your partition would be wiped, without a chance for recovery.

Regardless, Parted Magic sounds just like what I was looking for. Thanks!