Find the answer to your Linux question:
Someone gave me a Linux cd and said that I can run it straight from the cd/dvd player and not necesarilly install the Linux software.I tried that ,and it did ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Run without installing.

Someone gave me a Linux cd and said that I can run it straight from the cd/dvd player and not necesarilly install the Linux software.I tried that ,and it did not work. Instead I would like to know if there is any Linux distro that can run off the cd/dvd player without installing the software on a pc.

Many Linux distributions can run straight from the CD. It is called a "Live-CD".
    You can try Ubuntu, which is very user friendly. Download it here and burn it to a CD. Make sure you select the option "Burn Image". The CD should then contain many folders and not only an .iso file.

Or you can even install Ubuntu inside Windows(!), by running the Live-CD inside Windows or by downloading and using WUBI and if you don't want it anymore, you can unistall it as any normal application.

Note: In Ubuntu, as long as you are connected to the Internet, you install new programs from System->Administration->Synaptic.