Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I need to edit, compile and run some C codes on a remote machine. The way people did is to download the files, edit them in a local machine, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to edit, compile and run remote files

Hello,
    I need to edit, compile and run some C codes on a remote machine. The way people did is to download the files, edit them in a local machine, upload, compile and run. This is not convenient. Any better way to do it? Thank you.

I'm assuming that since your on a linux forum, that the remote machine is linux. You could ssh (PuTTY) connect to the remote machine, edit it in a console text editor (vi or emacs are the most popular, I dont want to start a holy war here, so i'll mention there are others), and then compile them on the remote machine. This may not be optimal, depending on the remote machine's purpose, but it is the way to remove the download localy and upload steps.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4