Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
[rant] We had an interesting situation today at my radio station. One of the companies we receive programming from was merged with another and the newer company's policy on affidavits ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

...you MUST use Internet Explorer...

[rant] We had an interesting situation today at my radio station. One of the companies we receive programming from was merged with another and the newer company's policy on affidavits is what we are supposed to now follow. Part of the new online affidavit policy is that we are instructed to use IE 6 or better when filling out affidavits. Their website is not working well with our Firefox browser so we brought this to their attention. They have reiterated that we MUST use IE 6 or above to fill out affidavits.

I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to use IE on a Windows machine and risk the security issues to do so. I'm not going to install IE on Linux either. I've instructed my office manager to inform them there is nothing in our contract stipulating we must use Internet Explorer so if that is the only way for them to receive our affidavits, they will have to do without. Further, if they wish to terminate our contract because of this then it is okay by us.

I've had it with these companies that demand we use IE so we can do business with them. The way I see it, as the vendor, it is incumbent upon them to do what is reasonable to accommodate their customers, not the other way round. If they choose to lose our business because they refuse to configure their website to be compatible with Firefox then so be it. I'll find program suppliers that will. [/rant]
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I have the same problem but in a different format Dapper Dan when it comes to tuning Motorcycles.

TTS - MasterTune EFI Programming Software

The softwares expensive and Windows only.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

/me stands behind Dapper Dan yelling obscenities at the stupid company.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    If everyone had the same good common sense these abuses wouldn't happen that often.

Well done

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Dan, you should argue that Firefox is better than IE6. You wouldn't be wrong.

Well done for taking a stand
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I tried to download Nvkush Nvidia drivers for my Mac OSx86, because I'm presently on dial-up and went town to borrow my sister's high speed to get Linux updates along with the Nvidia drivers from their business network. They only have Windows machines, the Nvkush's web side denied me from downloading because I was using IE.
    So....it goes both ways. No reason to go ranting in public forums. It takes all kinds to make this world go around, including those that choose to be ignorant, LIVE WITH IT.

As a business owner/operator, I would be rolling my eyes up in my sockets at your comment. What's worst, I don't have to judge a book by it's cover, you've openned the pages wide enough to let me know how proffesional you really are/aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyside View Post
    I tried to download Nvkush Nvidia drivers for my Mac OSx86, because I'm presently on dial-up and went town to borrow my sister's high speed to get Linux updates along with the Nvidia drivers from their business network. They only have Windows machines, the Nvkush's web side denied me from downloading because I was using IE.
    So....it goes both ways. No reason to go ranting in public forums. It takes all kinds to make this world go around, including those that choose to be ignorant, LIVE WITH IT.

As a business owner/operator, I would be rolling my eyes up in my sockets at your comment. What's worst, I don't have to judge a book by it's cover, you've openned the pages wide enough to let me know how proffesional you really are/aren't.
    Being forced to use IE or Firefox rather than the browser of your choice is bad ... business owner/operators should know better than to p**s-off customers imposing unnecessary restrictions on them

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyside View Post
    So....it goes both ways. No reason to go ranting in public forums.
    As long as the administrators of Linuxforums are not unhappy, I can rant here if I wish. Because it IS a public forum I have the right to do so within the rules, whether you like it or not.
    It takes all kinds to make this world go around, including those that choose to be ignorant, LIVE WITH IT.
    I live in a relatively free society. If I'm not satisfied with one of my vendor's business practices, not only can I speak my mind about it, I can choose to do business elsewhere. Maybe where you are you have to "live with it." I don't and won't and haven't for the twenty-one years I've owned and operated two successful businesses which is probably longer than you've been alive.
    As a business owner/operator, I would be rolling my eyes up in my sockets at your comment.
    Would you now? ARE you a business owner? Do you accept everything your vendors dish out that is disagreeable to you? Do you purchase sub-standard goods and services and never complain? You've never been dissatisfied with their products or the way they conduct business with you? You just "live with it?" If you do you won't be in business very long.
    What's worst, I don't have to judge a book by it's cover, you've openned the pages wide enough to let me know how proffesional you really are/aren't.
    You are in no position to judge me, my actions or anyone elses. All you've really done here is demonstrate to everyone that you are likely a complete moron with nothing better to do than troll. If you wish to disagree that is fine, but learn to do so in a polite and non-confrontational manner. Otherwise, go elsewhere.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    Sunnyside, as a professional, you should know that you can't legally force a anyone to use a given browser. Much less when you have to buy a given OS to use it legally. That clause wasn't in his contract, so he can stop using the service whenever he wants.

If as a professional you feel bad about that, make sure that your clients will never be forced to take that decision, because you might not like the choice they will make. Fortunately, you can't force anyone to use your browser of choice.

There's absolutely no technical reason to use IE over any other browser, because there are enough standardized technologies to do whatever ActiveX can do and much more in a better and safer way. Your post is the one that look like a rant because you provide no real arguments nor facts, other than your belief that your customers should use whatever you want them to use, which is not an argument, just your opinion, and one that I don't agree with.

Paraphrasing you: people can disagree with you. Live with that.

Truth hurts

Sorry y'all, but I do own and operate a corporation which has been afloat since 2000. Between high school graduation and retirement, I am closer to retirement.
    When you operate a business in a small community, there are some simple rules to abide by in order to come out ahead, they are:
    1: The customer is always right
    2: Kiss allot of ass with a smile
    3: Constructive criticism can only improve the level of service you provide
    And there are more simple rules depending on the service you provide.

But...times have changed, and business is shifting to global rather than local, and the simple rules can still apply, but are more often seen as "old fashioned" and "don't apply anymore". In developed countries as of late, corporations tend to think they "provide a service", not "offer a service".
    There is a difference:
    Provide a service: We can do it and do it better than anybody else, we have the most qualified staff (friends, friend of a friend, relatives with no education in the field, etc.) and that's why we charge a premium rate, and you can sleep better knowing you have the best.
    Offer a service: We are a young, dynamic company with educated, experienced staff that can provide the same if not better level of service as those "high priced" firms at an affordable rate.

Now...
    I don't know what the current economic situation is in California, but according to the headlines, times are tough. Ask yourself this question:
    Do we provide a service?, or are we offering a service?.
    Because most companies that used to provide a service in the past when the economy was hot, now offer a service.

I am not completely ignorant to the position of many, I have also worked on payroll in large construction sites. Most if not all of these large companies set out many seemingly childish site rules that make most people shake their heads and become offended. Many buck the system and eventually get fired, lay off, quit, etc. But some of the smart ones abide by those childish rules and end up climbing the ladder and bringing home allot more bacon in the end. And when you've been there long enough to realize most people are actually childish, it's no wonder large companies have to implement seemingly childish rules.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast