Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone! here's a problem: let's say that you want this email address - fake-mail@eexu.edu , for example - to be forwarded to a certain user. without using aliases can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

forwarding emails

hello everyone!

here's a problem:

let's say that you want this email address - fake-mail@eexu.edu, for example - to be forwarded to a certain user. without using aliases can this be done?

we're trying to simulate a "mail system" but we don't have root privileges. i know this can be done by placing an entry at /etc/aliases. we're looking for another way. ..

Registered User #345074

Linux User
    well i guess the answer's obvious.. . can't be done.. . hehehe.. .
    back to the ol' drawing board.

Registered User #345074

Sry, best bet i got would be to run a croned script on the e-mail inbox, that sends all the messages to a new address. But this is not esily scalable or resource effective, but its a possiblilty, assuming this ist too large scale as any plan would have to be implemented without root privlages would have to be run for each user, by each user.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    i think i used the wrong words. sorry if there's some confusion. hehehe.. .

what i really meant is that there is an incoming mail with address - fake-mail@eexu.edu - now i have aliases to the real addresses of users written in /etc/aliases, then the mta does the forwarding to the real address.

this is one obvious solution for us to "simulate" a mailing system, where we really give supposed users who supposedly sign-up/register to get a supposed email address like the one above.

but the only thing that's really happening is that all emails with such addresses in the /etc/aliases file are just being routed to one or two real email address. we then parse the "TO" header and then give the supposed user his/her email.

Registered User #345074