Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I'm very new here... My problem: I d/l dragonlinux because it was the only version i could find that could exist together with windows without partitioning, and the only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Any dragonlinux experts here?

Hi, I'm very new here...
    My problem: I d/l dragonlinux because it was the only version i could find that could exist together with windows without partitioning, and the only one I could find that could be d/l to the HDD. I don't have a burner.

I'm going to build a machine and I want to run "serious" things on a stable environment, and still have win98 for my not so "serious" games.

So after the d/l to a new folder named Dragon, I clicked on the dragon.bat and a msdos icon was created.
    As per instructions I rebooted to DOS and from there I tried to get to the setup only to get a "bad command or filename"

Does anyone know the solution of this? I also would like if there are any programs similar to dragonlinux if there is not a solution...

Thank you in advance
    sebastian pons

Linux User
    i am not so shure about this dragonlinux, but you can use wmvare which might be more easy'er than dragonlinux.
    But arent there like a message bord where you can search, or documents which explain the setup?

Anyway, good luck

Linux Guru
    If you want to have a serious, stable environment, don't use anything like this. You'll miss out of so much performance if you use Linux over the UMSDOS fs, plus it probably decreases stability on several levels.

You don't have to burn the thing to install it. If you're using a normal NIC for your internet connectivity, you can do a network install with the right bootdisk. You can also download the entire CD file tree to a directory on your hard drive and install it from there. You'll still have to partition, but you really do want to do that, if you want the performance of an ext2 or ext3 file system. The only thing you'll miss out on by not using a CDis the neat graphical installer.

If you want RedHat, for examples, download the rawrite.exe utility they have on their install CDs and the boot disk image you want, and use rawrite to write the image to a floppy.

Just Joined!
    First thank you for your answers.

As for your questions, yes, there is a support page for dragonlinux and the answer was to do the setup through DOS. Didn't work

And the reason for my doing it like this:
    I have a small HDD, 13MB, and partitioning could be a problem.
    And I want to run linux in windows to try it before I build my new machine that will run -hopefully- Linux as a main OS, and Win98 in a separate partition only for games.

Still, Mavra has been mentioned, what is it, where can I find it? and will it work alongside windows?

As I said, I'm very, very new. I've started reading about Linux but it will take me a while to get up to speed. In the meanwhile I'll appreciate any and all help I can get.

Have a nice weekend
    sebastian pons

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pons
    And I want to run linux in windows to try it before I build my new machine that will run -hopefully- Linux as a main OS, and Win98 in a separate partition only for games.
    I hope you haven't misunderstood anything here. You will not be able to run Linux in Windows; it will still have to be a double boot system. The only difference is that all your Linux files will be in your Windows file system.

Anyhow, I can't help you with the actual problem, because I have not tried this myself, and unlike many other things, I don't want to either. Sorry.

Linux User
    If you have a small harddisk, and maybe a slow pc(?) I can suggest you using knoppix (for the more "up-to-date" computers) or freeduc (for the more slower computers).

Those two distrobutions runs of from the cdrom, without writing to harddisk. Well, freeduc and knoppix can write a swap file if you run a low-mem system.

I only tried out freeduc, but a friend of mine ran knoppix sometimes and he said it was ok. Only sad thing, on freeduc, they dont ship gcc on the cdroms so you will get a hard time trying to compile your programs.

But if I where you, I would get some money and buy myself a harddisk. 10-20 gigabytes i more than enough, but I don't know the prices where you come from, but in Norway, I'd say the price for a 10-20 gig hdd lies about $20 or something.

Anyway, good luck with your future GNU/Linux career

Just Joined!
    Hi, I warned you. I'm too new!

As I said before, I don't have a CD burner so d/l to a CD is out.

I decided on DragonLinux because it can reside in a folder as a separate program, and doesn't need a partition to work.

Somebody (Kriss?) mentioned a possibility to d/l to the hdd instead of a CD. Can you be more clear? Can you specify step by step? and where can I find the program?

knoppix also have been mentioned. What is it, where do I find it, and can somebody help (step by step?) with d/l and installation?

As I said, my plan is to try it now and make the default OS of my future machine, therefore I can't afford even the 20$ for a new hdd, as any cent counts toward the new one.

Again if somebody know of a product similar to DragonLinux. I'll be Happy to hear about....

Many thanks to all of you
    sebastian pons

Linux Guru
    It was I who mentioned that you could download directly to the HD. This will still require you to repartition your hard drive, though, so I don't know if it's actually what you want.
    Knoppix might be a good idea, though. The thing is that you just put it in and boot, and it will boot a very complete Linux system from your CD, that won't touch your hard drive at all unless you tell it to. The backside is of course that, since it doesn't save anything on your hard drive, you can't really make any changes to the system either.

Just Joined!
    Hi, Dolda2000. You mention <The thing is that you just put it in and boot, and it will boot a very complete Linux system from your CD,> .

And that IS the problem. I can't put the OS to a CD because I don't have a CD burner. You also mention that it can be d/l directly to the hdd (bypassing the need of a CD, I presume)... how can it be done?

And I came to the realization that I will have to make it a dual boot. Where can I get help? And if partitioning is involved, how can I do it safely? Also instructions or a point to a help page would be appreciated.

Regards
    sebastian pons

Linux Guru
    Don't you know someone who owns a CD burner or something then? Maybe some local university or other school has one? They usually do help you with these things if you just put your words right.

If you want to do the without-the-CD installation, you should first consider if you can't do an internet installation, since the installation directory will take a whole lot of space on your hard drive. You can, of course, delete it afterwards, but until then it will take a few GB. What internet connection do you have?

Repartitioning can't ever be done completely safely. Resizing your file system can always fail in one way or another. Usually, it doesn't, but you can never know for sure. If you want to go through with, you should back up all your important files first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast