Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can i go to electronic boutique, buy a game, and play it on Linux??? Also can u create ur own games on Linux???...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can i play games on Linux?

Can i go to electronic boutique, buy a game, and play it on Linux??? Also can u create ur own games on Linux???

Linux Guru
    Linux is extremely game-friendly, and at least if your using an nVidia card (I don't about other brands), games run faster than in Windows (providing that your system is properly configured, of course).

However, almost all games are only made for Windows. Not only that, but most are also only made for DirectX, which Linux naturally doesn't support, when there is OpenGL instead.
    Some games can be played using WineX by TransMeta. This is far slower than playing them in Windows, though, since WineX is an emulator.
    Some games are also actually ported to Linux, such as Q3 and UT2k3 (and all games that are based on these, such as RtCW). These are the ones that run faster on Linux than on Windows.
    There are also games that exist exclusively for Linux, and not for Windows. They aren't always very good, though, since almost all serious game developers do build games for Windows. Examples are tuxracer and chromium.

If the game says that the system requirements include Windows, they do mean it. Some games, however, only that they require a PC, which, to some game developers, is synonymous to Windows. It's too sad, really...

Just Joined!

Gaming linux

i agree with the previous comment. I think that for linux to conquer the world it will have to push forward with extensive game support. When this is done only then will the penguin reign supreme.

Linux Newbie
    I think that it doesnt matter, linux is more interesting to me (and most people I speak to) in the server enviroment. It is not cost effective to port games to linux, just look at what happened to Loki Games.

Anyway, I dont really care because I have a gamecube.

Linux Guru
    Good. I will officially refuse to talk to anyone who owns an Xbox. Unless you put Linux on it and use it as a server that is. That way you made Microsoft lose money in the process, and you got yourself a cheap Linux server.
    I also have a gamecube, btw.

Just Joined!
    I agree with Dolda. XBoxes are good for two things: Linux servers (good idea) and soda coasters

In reality, I think that the Linux community will push forth the movement to the desktop world. Linux is already a rock solid, proven choice in the server market. First, linux must tackle the corporate desktop level, which is very soon (SuSE Office Desktop package...) Once people get used to using Linux at work, the move to home will follow. It will be then, when the games emerge.

And by the way, I have an nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 and UT2003 rocks..!!

evan hazlett

Linux User
    I know i dont know all that much about linux but i do believe that there is a new company on the internet called alternative gaming they sell multiplatform games, and i know for sure that you can get Quake on a linux version.

so yes i think that you can play games on linux[/i]

Linux User
    www.alternativegames.ca