Find the answer to your Linux question:
The man time shows: -ctime n Files status was last changed n*24 hours ago. See the comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the interpreta- tion of file status ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question find command ctime vs. mtime vs. creation time

The man time shows:

-ctime n
    Files status was last changed n*24 hours ago. See the comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the interpreta-
    tion of file status change times.

-mtime n
    Files data was last modified n*24 hours ago. See the comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the interpretation
    of file modification times.

Is there a difference between "changed" vs. "modified"? Is a data change also a status change? I am looking for a way to find files based on creation time. Does anyone know if there is such?

hope this solution works out for you

create a file using the touch command and assign the file the date from which date you want to search a file.
    now excecute 'find' cmd with newer option
    ex: find <location> -newer <file created with touch>

this would list all files from the date specified with touch cmd.

Just Joined!

Question assign the file the date

Thanks for you reply. I don't know how to, "assign the file the date." Could you please show me the command?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    when ever you want to know how to use a commnad refer to the man pages. It's really very simple. The touch commnad has a '-t' option which can be used to assign a partcular date to a file.
    Syantax : touch -t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.ss]
    for example to give a file a date of 7/04/04
    simple do this
    #touch -t 20040407 filename.

Just Joined!

Smile Thanks

Thank you very much, this is a perfect solution to my problem!

Quote Originally Posted by lfridkis View Post
    The man time shows:

-ctime n
    Files status was last changed n*24 hours ago. See the comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the interpreta-
    tion of file status change times.

-mtime n
    Files data was last modified n*24 hours ago. See the comments for -atime to understand how rounding affects the interpretation
    of file modification times.

Is there a difference between "changed" vs. "modified"? Is a data change also a status change? I am looking for a way to find files based on creation time. Does anyone know if there is such?
    I have to admit I didn't know the answer to this myself... I tried a Google search and the answer I came up with is this:

ctime is the last time the file's inode was changed: that would be, for instance, the file's size, permissions, etc. I don't know if it includes updates to the atime... (I would guess not) But it does include modifications to the file's data, I guess.

mtime is the last time the file's contents were modified - the last time somebody did a write() to the file (or certain types of seek(), truncation, etc.)

ctime changes any time mtime changes, but there are some operations that will change ctime but not mtime.

Just Joined!

Smile

thank you!!!