Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi how can I change the font and background color of the boot screen and every tty permanently? i tried all kinds of bootsplashes which don't require me to recompile ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

change boot and tty colors

Hi

how can I change the font and background color of the boot screen and every tty permanently?

i tried all kinds of bootsplashes which don't require me to recompile my kernel, but they are all useless.

running debian lenny.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by enteon View Post
    Hi

how can I change the font and background color of the boot screen and every tty permanently?

i tried all kinds of bootsplashes which don't require me to recompile my kernel, but they are all useless.

running debian lenny.
    thank you.
    You can easily edit your GRUB menu.lst to add colors:
    FOSSwire: Colour your GRUB boot menu

Adding color to BASH:
    Colors and Prompts in BASH

Just Joined!
    thank you for your reply, but it only involves grub and the shell after login, not everything from the beginning on (after grub^^).

i tried launching setterm in runlevel 1 which pretty much doesn't work. it only kicks in after some time (obviously) and it doesn't set the whole background color but only the background of the new text.

it's possible to change the color before compiling the kernel. but i don't want that.

Just Joined!
    I don't know about boot screen, trying to find the answer by myself. But i solved it for tty's, works well.

Run setterm which clears the screen and changes the console font color (here - to «old-school» bold green as i like) before login prompt. 'man setterm' for all you can do with it.

Open /etc/inittab and find this block of code:

Code:
    1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
      2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
      3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
      4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
      5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
      6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

Add the following right after 'getty' on each line:

Code:
    -I `setterm -clear all -foreground green -bold -store`
    So it looks like this:

Code:
    1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -I `setterm -clear all -foreground green -bold -store` 38400 tty1
    2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -I `setterm -clear all -foreground green -bold -store` 38400 tty2
    3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -I `setterm -clear all -foreground green -bold -store` 38400 tty3
    4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -I `setterm -clear all -foreground green -bold -store` 38400 tty4
    5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -I `setterm -clear all -foreground green -bold -store` 38400 tty5
    6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -I `setterm -clear all -foreground green -bold -store` 38400 tty6
    Reboot, enjoy.

Just Joined!
    thank you for the information.

the color at bootup can be changed in the kernel compiling-config:
    Code:
    option WS_KERNEL_BG=WSCOL_BLACK
    option WS_KERNEL_FG=WSCOL_BLACK
    maybe it helps you.