Find the answer to your Linux question:
Decided I would try their distribution, particularly since I liked the goal of autodetection of everything. Selected the LiveCD option at boot, it went a little ways, and then got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone know how to get hold of the folks at Santa Fe Linux?

Decided I would try their distribution, particularly since I liked the goal of autodetection of everything.

Selected the LiveCD option at boot, it went a little ways, and then got hung in a loop trying to mount /dev/cdrom - which isn't surprising since my Sony U70 only boots from it's firewire DVD/CD-ROM drive which would require firewire to come up first, and probably needs some mapping to /dev/sd something or other...

Went to the site to try and let them know this, and darned if there didn't seem to be links to any forums or feedback forms or email...

sorry i can provide you with the correct answer...i am not familiar with the distro yet, but have you consider trying a more popular distro such as fedora or mandrake?

you will find more support from them....

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by imdeemvp
    but have you consider trying a more popular distro such as fedora or mandrake?
    Yes, as well as running Linspire on a computer for the family and running a BLFS (Beyond Linux From Scratch) setup on my computer.

I am interested in trying out the Santa Fe distribution because it's focus is on creating a distribution where all the hardware is autodetected and configured. Since that seems to be where I've had to spend most of my time when trying to get others to convert, having a distribution I can give them on a CD and know it will just work (and yes, Knoppix is close to that, but not quite there) is something of value.

Though you do have to wonder what other things are missing given my experience...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Even maybe Slackware will be better for you

Just Joined!

Re: Anyone know how to get hold of the folks at Santa Fe Lin

Quote Originally Posted by ewanrg
    Decided I would try their distribution, particularly since I liked the goal of autodetection of everything.

Selected the LiveCD option at boot, it went a little ways, and then got hung in a loop trying to mount /dev/cdrom - which isn't surprising since my Sony U70 only boots from it's firewire DVD/CD-ROM drive which would require firewire to come up first, and probably needs some mapping to /dev/sd something or other...

Went to the site to try and let them know this, and darned if there didn't seem to be links to any forums or feedback forms or email...
    They have a bug tracking section on their development site (http://devel.santafelinux.com).

They just released another Community Test Release (CTR3), so maybe they have address this issue?

Santa Fe Linux is doesn't have an installer that I can see, but I'm following its development.

Linux User
    You might try contacting someone from New Mexico Software, the company making Sant Fe linux. Checkout the contact links here.
    http://www.nmxs.com/company.html

Just Joined!

Santa Fe Linux

Quote Originally Posted by ewanrg
    Quote Originally Posted by imdeemvp
    but have you consider trying a more popular distro such as fedora or mandrake?
    Yes, as well as running Linspire on a computer for the family and running a BLFS (Beyond Linux From Scratch) setup on my computer.

I am interested in trying out the Santa Fe distribution because it's focus is on creating a distribution where all the hardware is autodetected and configured. Since that seems to be where I've had to spend most of my time when trying to get others to convert, having a distribution I can give them on a CD and know it will just work (and yes, Knoppix is close to that, but not quite there) is something of value.

Though you do have to wonder what other things are missing given my experience...
    Hi, this is Rafael, the author of Santa Fe Linux. We did have a test machine that booted only from a PCMCIA CD-ROM, but I didn't put any firewire/usb boot machines in our test environment. I didn't even put firewire/usb support in the initrd. However, its in the root image and autodetects and mounts the way one would expect after it boots.

I'll try and get the problem fixed before Santa Fe offically goes gold. I suspect its just a matter of adding the firewire modules into the initrd and loading them at boot. Everything else is there for SCSI emulation and whatnot. I'll file this as a bug at http://devel.santafelinux.com.

Thanks,
    Rafael

Linux Newbie
    TO: Rafael / Santafe Linux

Hi
    I cannot download the Torrent, because the speed is only 1 Kbps.
    I can download from FTP using Prozilla at 13 Kbps.
    Can you request for Free FTP space from Ibiblio, SourceForge, Planet Mirror or other FTP servers?
    Thank's.