Find the answer to your Linux question:
how can i check all the running processes in linux just like we can check in taskmanager in windows....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can i check running processes in linux

how can i check all the running processes in linux just like we can check in taskmanager in windows.

If you are on CLI.
    use command
    $ ps -aux
    If you are using Gnome you will find system monitor in Administration / System Tools menu. depending on your distro.

btw, what distro you are using?
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    wht is distro........i am a learner......dont have much idea........sometimes i need to end some programms just like mozila........thats why i asked this question

Just Joined!
    Go into the terminal (Applications>Tools>Terminal), then type in "top" (without quotes) and press enter. That will give you a list of all your running process. If you want to kill a running process, type "k" for kill then look on the far left for the PID (Process ID) and simply type in the ID number at the top of the list (the focus will already be right spot in the terminal..just type the ID number) and when ready to kill the process, hit Enter and "y" for yes. Process is killed. However, if you want to get out of the processes, simply press "q" key and it will leave the processes. If you would like to continue using the terminal but don't want to see al the processes there, type "clear" and it will start you off with a fresh terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaarko View Post
    wht is distro........i am a learner......dont have much idea........sometimes i need to end some programms just like mozila........thats why i asked this question
    There is not just 1 Linux OS, there are many different structures and flavors of linux. like Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSe, etc.
    There are many distros around, and they are free.
    check them out at --> DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild View Post
    There is not just 1 Linux OS, there are many different structures and flavors of linux. like Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSe, etc.
    There are many distros around, and they are free.
    check them out at --> DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    Actually, there is just one Linux OS. The word Linux doesn't describe a distro or even a mass of distro's, but is the name of the kernel itself. The kernel's name is Linux and the kernel is the actual OS which is at the heart of every Linux distro's release. Without the kernel (Linux), there would be no Linux or any distro's. Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSe, Mandriva, Slackware, etc... those are not multiple Linux OS's...they are simply distro's with the kernel (Linux) at the heart of each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaarko View Post
    A distro (short for distribution) is a huge collection of software programs that are built on top of the Linux kernel.

Read my previous post above. I stated how to view running processes and how to terminate processes.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Another way is to open the terminal and run the following command

ps -A | grep mozilla

What this does is to run the ps (show processes command) for all processes and then send the output of this command to the grep command. The grep command outputs things that match a pattern, so my example says show me all processes that are running something that contains the text mozilla.

The first information on the output is a number and this is the process ID. You pass that into the kill command.

So for firefox on my system (currently)

ps -A | grep firefox
    returns
    5785 ? 00:06:08 firefox

Therefore kill 5785 will kill the process.

Another option is killall.

All of these commands have man pages (example man kill)
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent