Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, here is my problem: I installed Postfix v2.3.3 and Hylafax v4.4.4 on centOS v5.3 Set up both (after long research on the net) to work as an e-mail->fax ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with .doc files on mail2fax gateway (Postfix/Hylafax)

Hi there, here is my problem:

I installed Postfix v2.3.3 and Hylafax v4.4.4 on centOS v5.3

Set up both (after long research on the net) to work as an e-mail->fax gateway.

Until i send mail with images or .pdf attachments, hylafax works fine, decoding mails, handling body and attachment and paginating them correctly, but not when it comes to Word .doc files, that cant be handled/converted.

Does someone know a solution? I searched without success.

Thanks for reading this and best regards

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Standard text attachments don't need to be encoded before being sent with email, but all binary data does, and Word documents as well as all image types certainly qualify. Is your mail client configured to YY or UU encode binary attachments? That is the normal standard for binary attachments as it encodes the binary data to ascii text that can be sent. Check your client and server settings for enabling UU or YY encoding for email attachments.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Standard text attachments don't need to be encoded before being sent with email, but all binary data does, and Word documents as well as all image types certainly qualify. Is your mail client configured to YY or UU encode binary attachments? That is the normal standard for binary attachments as it encodes the binary data to ascii text that can be sent. Check your client and server settings for enabling UU or YY encoding for email attachments.
    Hi Rubberman, and thanks for the reply.
    First of all, i did some testing with both Evolution and the Windows Mail client (on a pc with Vista), so i dont think is a client problem.
    If i understood what you said, it should be a MIME encoding/decoding problem, but i think it is server side. I checked the log and found the error, maybe it can help to understand the problem.

Here is the log of the error (taken from /var/log/maillog):
    -------------------
    May 11 16:36:06 cs postfix/smtpd[8366]: connect from n0001.XXXXXXXX.it[192.168.1.109]
    May 11 16:36:07 cs postfix/smtpd[8366]: 2A20DC5943E: client=n0001.XXXXXXXX.it[192.168.1.109]
    May 11 16:36:07 cs postfix/cleanup[8368]: 2A20DC5943E: message-id=<ABB70BDDD43046BBA4A08F176A648938@XXXXXXXX.it>
    May 11 16:36:07 cs postfix/qmgr[8179]: 2A20DC5943E: from=<faxtest@cs.XXXXXXXX.it>, size=28403, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    May 11 16:36:07 cs postfix/pipe[8369]: 2A20DC5943E: to=<743788@fax.XXXXXXXX.it>, relay=fax, delay=0.41, delays=0.38/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=5.3.0, status=bounced (Command died with status 255: "/usr/local/hylafax/bin/faxmail". Command output: faxmail: unable to process message: /tmp//faxmail.AYgLXm/part.3: Can not determine file type. )
    -------------------
    the error is the same with both mail clients.
    I hope you (or anyone who knows what could be the problem) can help me 'cause i am losing my mind on this postfix/hylafax!!
    thank you for the help,
    Paolo

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Usually, mime settings use filename extensions (.jpg, .doc, etc) to determine what application to use to view/process them. Perhaps your mime settings need to be altered so that these attachments can be stored, even if they have to be viewed by an external program. I'm afraid that is all theoretical as I am certainly not a postfix or hylafax expert.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!