Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Actually, 512 is more than enough for most modern distros, provided you don't want every single bell or whistle going. Fedora 6 -8 ran quite well for me on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Actually, 512 is more than enough for most modern distros, provided you don't want every single bell or whistle going. Fedora 6 -8 ran quite well for me on a P3 with 512, I just used an lightweight WM (IceWM). I followed that up with CRUX and it's been the fastest system I've ran so far.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Would I be able to import my existing files from Mint to Fedora?

I have Fedora 10 on a cd right now, and I just ran through the LiveCD on my computer which was a bit slow (only while it was loading, after that is was very quick). I almost installed it, but I wasn't prompted to import any existing files or anything, so I backed out. Does it ask after the partitions have been written to disk?

It depends on how you formatted your disk to begin with, if you created a seperate /home partition, then just tell the installer not to format the /home partition. If you only have a /boot / and /swap, then yes it will get overwritten when you re-install and you should backup/import before you begin a new install.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Ahhh.... Good point. I manually set up the partitions, so I almost certianly have a /home partitio. Thanks...

I'll try it out right now and tell you how it goes.

Just Joined!
    Wow... So apparently I let the computer default the partition layout when I installed Mint (i've never done that before... hmmm).

I'm just gonna say "to hell with it", and just redo my entire system. I hae high speed internet afterall. lol

I have at least 50gb of video I'll have to redownload, but I have plenty of spare time being unemployed... it will keep me busy.

I'll let you know how I like Fedora 10 (i've only used Fedora Core 3 before. If I have any other questions or need recommendations for another distro if I choose not to keep this one, i'll be right back here... lol.

Thanks for the help. Again, it's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRenegade View Post
    Fedora is looking pretty good right now considering I have some experience with it already.
    )
    Fedora is by far the most advanced OS in the world.
    Everyone else pretty much copies (which is a very smart thing to do) Fedora's innovations.
    (Plymouth, PackageKit, newer RPM versions,network manager,etc...)

So if you feel comfortable with Fedora, go for it!!
    You won't regret it!

Just Joined!
    Ok, I have Fedora 10 installed and running (i'm using it right now). All updates have been completed, and now I just have to start getting my media files back...

Could someone give me some repositories, and how to make them available?

I've tried the RPMFusion repos, but after I type in the command in a terminal, and give my root password for verification, when I open up synaptic and check the repositories, it's not there. I've also tried setting up a new repository (giving the url and distribution) and that doesn't work either....

Any help with this would be great.

Fedora doesn't use Synaptic. Last time I checked they just used add/remove programs and YUM.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Really? I just installed a couple of things with it...

I had to install synaptic myself.

What should I do about the repositories?

Check these links.
    The Perfect Desktop - Fedora 10 (GNOME) - Page 3 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    my-guides.net - Fedora 10 Installation Guide
    That 2nd link is an depth Fedora 10 install/customization guide, you should bookmark it.

I had no idea synaptic would work on Fedora, does it use RPMS or what?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast