Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello everyone. I just joined here hoping for some help deciding something... I have been running Linux Mint 3.0 on my stock Emachine w3506 for quite a while now. Everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

*Need Suggestions Please*

Hello everyone. I just joined here hoping for some help deciding something...

I have been running Linux Mint 3.0 on my stock Emachine w3506 for quite a while now. Everything works great, and I really like it. The thing is, I feel like I need to try something new, and change things up a bit.

So, before I did that, I thought it would be the best opportunity to ask some of you more knowledgeable linux people what the best distro would be for my particular computer.

I want to use it for music, video, internet, media storage... the basics. Games would be a plus. I just want something that will put everything my computer has (or doesn't have) and make the best of it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will take time and look at each of them.

Thanks.

Hello and Welcome.
    I would suggest that you take a spin on the Distro Quiz and see what it predicts for your future.
    zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
    As far as games go, you can install just about any Linux game into any distro you choose from. Good Luck and do let us know how it goes.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...mes-linux.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I just took that test, and not suprisingly Linux Mint was a 95% match. lol I knew I chose it for a reason.

There were two 100% matches: Fedora, and OpenSUSE.

I have used fedora on my laptop before, and like it. I've tried OpenSUSE I believe too, and it was ok.

Fedora is looking pretty good right now considering I have some experience with it already.

I'll wait for others to chime in.

Thanks a lot Mike... I appreciate it.

Well if you're just feeling antsy and adventurous, I'd suggest you try Mepis or Sabayon. I like Sabayon a lot, but most people don't like Gentoo based distro's as they take forever to compile software from source.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Hello and Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I like Sabayon a lot, but most people don't like Gentoo based distro's as they take forever to compile software from source.
    The upside though is that it's already geared to those gaming and multi-media features that you were looking for.
    But here's a suggestion for you if you have a few spare blank CD's handy. Burn some LiveCD's and take 'em for a test drive. Once you find something you think you might like, set aside some disk space and join the multi-boot revolution!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux User
    I agree with jayd512. I have around 20 different live cd's, and whenever I feel adventurous, I take one for a spin. At the moment I have 3 installations: AntiX, Ubuntu 8.10 and Mint XFCE. I plan to add more as my interest leads me.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Quote Originally Posted by Hal343 View Post
    I agree with jayd512. I have around 20 different live cd's, and whenever I feel adventurous, I take one for a spin. At the moment I have 3 installations: AntiX, Ubuntu 8.10 and Mint XFCE. I plan to add more as my interest leads me.
    We've come up with a name for people who like to distro hop.........We are the Distro sluts! Welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    We are the Distro sluts! Welcome to the club.
    Does that mean that our pimp is Distrowatch?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Does that mean that our pimp is Distrowatch?
    You know it baby! Don't make it go upside your head!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I actually have quite a few live CDs burned off right now... I experimented a lot with different distros for a while. I was double booting for a long time too with Windows XP, and PCLinuxOS.

I was just hoping someone might be informed on what my specific computer would perform best with. It only has 512mb of ram... if that helps.

Distrowatch is AWESOME BTW. That's where I got most of my stuff from.

Thanks so far guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast