Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everybody! This doesn't really seem to fit anywhere else, and I can find nothing about it, so here it is! I'm about to do a ULTRA-minimal install of Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] File Systems: ext2, ext3, & ext4

Hello everybody! This doesn't really seem to fit anywhere else, and I can find nothing about it, so here it is!

I'm about to do a ULTRA-minimal install of Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64, and I will be custom-compiling a kernel later. Do I need to have ext2 AND ext3 installed in the kernel to use ext4? Because if I don't, I really only need ext4 and XFS.

Nope... the only file-systems you need to compile for are the ones you actually plan on using.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Smile

Excellent!! Many thanks neighbor!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Vanilla grub don't work with ext4, *I think*. So check that first. You might either need a separate ext3/2 partition for /boot or a patched version of grub (or another bootloader). Otherwise you might be unable to boot.

Besides that, even if I haven't had a problem with ext4 in months, it's still not in the point where I would consider it reliable enough to store my important data on it.

Exclamation

i92guboj , is right - ext4 is just coming out,not yet reached / proven reliable like ext3.
    ext4 can't be a boot partition. Fedora 11 coming with ext4 as default file system,
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org