Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so call me a noobie, but I can't figure out how to remove Windows after I've already installed Linux. I used Linux on my mom's computer and decided I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Uninstalling Windows

Ok, so call me a noobie, but I can't figure out how to remove Windows after I've already installed Linux. I used Linux on my mom's computer and decided I liked it much more then Windows. So I installed it onto mine, but now it is duel booting and I don't want that. How do i get rid of Windows altogether without going back to the beginning? I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall Linux, but I will if that is my only option.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can use gparted (the entry is somewhere in the System menu or you can start by doing ALT-F2 and then entering sudo gparted) to delete your Windows partition (make sure its not mounted) and you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to remove the boot entry for Windows.

You could use GNU parted to delete your Windows partition, then reuse the space for something useful. You'd need to edit your bootloader configuration too so that it doesn't include the Windows option any more.

Congratulations on cutting the umbilical cord.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    how does GNU work? whatdo i do?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'd recommend using the PartedMagic LiveCD for your partitioning chores. It's a small download and quick burn to disk and is very easy to use. It has instructions for using it right on the LiveCD itself, and additional instructions and information can be found on their website.

If you aren't sure what you are doing and time is very important to you, it might be quicker to reinstall Linux from scratch, using the entire disk for the installation so that Windows is deleted during the install. Otherwise, you can do as others have instructed above to remove Windows and keep your current Linux install, while also learning a little bit about how Linux and partitions work.
    oz

I would suggest you *not* to delete Windows OS partitions. Just format those in NTFS or ext3. Ubuntu support NTFS read/write out of box.
    If you delete Partitions and merge its space in Ubuntu partitions, Ubuntu will not boot up at all. You will have to edit /etc/fstab and menu.lst files to boot Ubuntu.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    I think you will have Windows on the first partition.
    That means also that it probably is your boot-partition.
    If you format it all the bootentries are gone and even grub will not work anymore.
    So you will have to repair this later on.
    Better you leave it as it is.

It's very important that if /etc/fstab is setup using /dev/sd? and Windows is the first partition you will most likely break Linux if you edit the Windows partitions. If you are using volume UIDs/blkids you may get away with it as long as Grub still has a correct reference to the Linux /boot or / partitions.

I have to say, as much as you want to avoid it you may in the long term benefit from running one clean install of Linux so that your drive is completely clean and partitioned in the correct order. You probably won't be able to simply add the Windows space onto the end of your Linux partitions and will be stuck with an extra one that you'll have to manage. I'd say just cut your losses and go for a clean install. Sure Ubuntu will be installed in about 20 minutes or so and then it's just up to you to configure it to your liking.

Good luck whichever route you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by isabella View Post
    How do i get rid of Windows altogether without going back to the beginning? I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall Linux, but I will if that is my only option.
    Open a terminal and post output of
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    the -l has a small L not a one.

You have had some good advice about using the disk space but if you want to merge the space with existing Linux parititions then ...
    post fdisk -l output
    post cat /etc/fstab output
    post cat /boot/grub/menu.lst output
    post ls /dev/disk/by-uuid -l

We can talk you through modifications to /etc/fstab partition delete/resize and modifications to /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst
    It will require system boot from a live CD to resize the partitions as well.

Make sure you backup critical data first