Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is it that makes a particular distro devotee hatefully attack anyone who dares to make suggetions for improvements in the distro's 'suggestions'-forum I have tried it nearly everywhere. Is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How suggestions are treated

What is it that makes a particular distro devotee hatefully attack anyone who dares to make suggetions for improvements in the distro's 'suggestions'-forum

I have tried it nearly everywhere.

Is it that no distro in any way can be improved or do people want to prove their loyalty and raise in the ranks in the community by confusing improvement with criticism?

Re: How suggestions are treated

Quote Originally Posted by Thulemanden
    What is it that makes a particular distro devotee hatefully attack anyone who dares to make suggetions for improvements in the distro's 'suggestions'-forum

I have tried it nearly everywhere.

Is it that no distro in any way can be improved or do people want to prove their loyalty and raise in the ranks in the community by confusing improvement with criticism?
    Haha. Interesting question, and an interesting phenomenon in general I must say. I've noticed this with particular vigor on the Linspire forums, but there does indeed seem to be a league of "devotees" for most popular Linux distributions (and even a few unpopular ones).

Some interesting responses to a "suggestion" I've seen were to point attempt to point out that the feature the suggestee wants is either illogical/unneccessary/impossible, or to blatantly insult the suggestee and say they should find another distro. I generally just find it funny, since no distro is perfect.

There is a difference however in the way the person makes the suggestion. If someone is perceived as hostile (saying for instance "this is the way this SHOULD work and all smart people know it", or the ever popular troll post: "I tried [insert random thing here] and it doesn't work! I'm never going to try this distro again!") then some sort of dismissal is warranted, or no response at all. Not all suggestions are trolls, but a lot are.

One more thing: I think I'll clarify the Linspire forum comment above. The actual employees of Linspire have been very receptive to genuine suggestions (I've made a few myself), it's when the suggestions get preempted by forum USERS more often than not that things get ugly.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants