Find the answer to your Linux question:
1)If I use only 10 % CPU and remaining is idle state - does that mean Electricity is saved?or CPU utilization nothing to do wtih power consumption 2)Monitor Setup - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation How to save power?

1)If I use only 10 % CPU and remaining is idle state - does that mean Electricity is saved?or CPU utilization nothing to do wtih power consumption

2)Monitor Setup - Decrease the brightness will help me in save the power?

Is underutilizd machine is same as if it was running at full capacity?
    Any suggestion on power saving?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Yes it does...
    Specially with AMD Processors with "Power Now" and "Cool n' Quiet" features, Its also supported under Linux

Decreasing brightness also saves electricity.
    Thats why I use Darker Themes.

When Monitor shows "Black" color it uses very low electricity or no electricity.
    check this page..Blackle This is Google Search with Black background, saves energy!
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Exclamation

ok..i'm agree with reducing monitor brightness will help . (because i think i read some where about this ...)

Have this example:

1) my cpu is running web browser and consumes 15% to 20% of CPU.

2)I'm playing Tremulous which uses 60-80% of CPU
    - Is this power consumption is "significantly" different for these two scenarios ?
    I read a book which said both are more or less same,that's one reason why virtualization is popular.
    The statement was something like this

"In normal CPU utilization is less - consumes about 10-15% and remain 85-90% of CPU is wasted ..but the power consumption of underutilized machine is same as full-utililzed machine " .
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Yes, Its true, because energy utilization difference between 10%-90% CPU usage is very low, The amount of power saved is like nothing.

Also with the monitors, The energy usage difference on CRT monitors are high, while on LCD It doesn't make huge difference between bright and dark backlight, but makable change is there.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild View Post
    When Monitor shows "Black" color it uses very low electricity or no electricity.
    check this page..Blackle This is Google Search with Black background, saves energy!

This rule (When Monitor shows"Black" color it uses very low electricity) isn't true on all types of monitors. For example brighter colors in LCD monitors uses less power than darker. I researched this and result of my work you may find in link bellow.

powerlinuxlap.blogspot.com/2009/09/colors.html

Sorry for the link but there is too much to write and I don;t want do it again.

Best regards