Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to recover files from tape cartridges that were written with a Windows system. The drive is a SCSI tape drive (Branded DELL but made by ARCHIVE) . I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help reading data files from DDS-4 SCSI tape

I need to recover files from tape cartridges that were written with a Windows system. The drive is a SCSI tape drive (Branded DELL but made by ARCHIVE) . I am able to use 'mt' to rewind the tape an can get status information from the drive. I also was able to use some tape recovery software on a windows partition to read the files on the tape, but could not save them without buying the software and I don't have the $$. - the point is that the drive is functional and the tapes are readable and the OS recognizes the tape drive.

I am looking for a method to read and save the files from the tape save using Linux (I use UBUNTU 8.04 )

any help would be appreciated.

Linux Guru
    If you wrote the backup using the NTBackup utility, it writes to tape in MTF format. This is not something that Linux uses or will natively read.

You will need something like this "MTF for Linux Reader."

This is just the first link I got from Google - there may be better code/options out there.

Just Joined!
    Thank you - I will try your suggetion
    Unfortunately I do not know what software was used for the original backups, so it'a all trial and (mostly) error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close