Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have just recently installed Freespire linux on my hp compaq laptop. But, an error occured. After use, when i turned it off, i would try to turn it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Smart Card

Hi.

I have just recently installed Freespire linux on my hp compaq laptop.

But, an error occured. After use, when i turned it off, i would try to turn it back on, but all it said was "please insert smart card into reader:.

1. Is this a common or normal linux problem OR is it something from the old Windws XP that was installed before i put freespire on.

2. Because i changed the OS, is that a reason for the laptop to start malfunctioning

People still use freespire? Yikes. I didn't know the distro was still active.

But for your question, no this is not a linux problem. This is something to do with your hardware. I took a glance at a couple of forums, and the most promising lead seems to be that maybe there is an internal smart card that has worked loose. Also possible that your motherboard is failing. You might contact customer support for your hardware manufacturer and ask them.

"Insert Smart Card into Reader" - CNET Computer help Forums
    IT Resource Center forums - Error message : "insert smart card" when I boot the laptop :