Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I want to pause a process, reboot my computer, and continue running that processes. Is it possible? For example rendering a large POV-Ray render job can take weeks, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pausing processes between reboots

Hi all,

I want to pause a process, reboot my computer, and continue running that processes. Is it possible? For example rendering a large POV-Ray render job can take weeks, if not months. So it would be beneficial to be able to turn off your computer temporarily (for whatever reason). I googled, but beyond "kill -STOP pid" and "kill -CONT pid" couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks in advance,
    Valerij Rozouvan

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't know about tools that will save the state of a running program itself and restart it at that point later, though hibernating the OS does that on a more general basis. You need to save the entire state of the application, including all heap, stack, and global memory, as well as program counters, etc. Then you need to reload that into the os, fixing up all pointers as necessary, and telling the os to add it to the currently running process list. It might be easier to implement a save-work command for the application, and give it the ability to reload the current data and restart processing from there instead.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. A quick google search found this: CryoPID - A Process Freezer for Linux that might do what you want. Remember, Google is your friend!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!