Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody. A buddy of mine once showed me a portable mp3 player that he had purchased, and then loaded a version of linux on it instead of the factory ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Linux Distro for an MP3 Player

Hi everybody. A buddy of mine once showed me a portable mp3 player that he had purchased, and then loaded a version of linux on it instead of the factory firmware. Because of this, he had support to various media formats that it didn't previously support (such as ogg, etc.). I recently purchased a Sansa MP3 player and was looking to see if it was possible to do the same thing as my buddy did, but I don't remember what the distro/project was called. I also have lost touch with my buddy since we've both moved to other towns, so I can't just ask him.

Does anyone know of a project or disto that can be loaded onto an MP3 player like what I mentioned above? I've done some searching online, but I've only found information on people turning their PCs into MP3 players/media centers, or using MP3 players to boot a computer into linux, neither of which I am looking at doing. If anyone could tell me of a distro like what my friend had, I'd appreciate it.

I did that myself with an iRiver iHP-140 I had. The project was RockBox. They support a lot of devices so it might be worth checking out, but not all devices are compatible.

If it had been an iPod there would also be the option of using iPodLinux instead of RockBox.

Thanks for the info. Rockbox was exactly what I was looking for.

I also just found a project called Sansalinux, that seems to be a branch off of iPodLinux, but I don't know if its as developed as the Rockbox project is.

Thanks again for the help!