Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I'm using Fedora and feel happy with it. Of course when a new version comes out, there are some wrinkles (such as a Nvidia driver), but they are sorted out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

I'm using Fedora and feel happy with it.
    Of course when a new version comes out, there are some wrinkles (such as a Nvidia driver), but they are sorted out really quick

I tried Fedora, but found nothing worked out of the box. Couldn't play dvd's couldn't play mp3's Wireless didn't work (although wireless worked in RED HAT eight )

It was bloated and slow, so I decided to try debian, bsd, and slackware. I installed bsd and couldn't get x to work. (on my desktop nor my laptop) I tried a few things to fix it but figured if someting like X didn't work I was in store for a lot of learning. So I tried Debian. I got it installed and x didn't work either. So I installed Slackware and everything worked out of the box with the exception of the sound and mouse and I posted a question on the forums and they solved it for me right away. I noticed right away that it found my wireless and it played dvds and mp3 without patches. Best of all it is fast. Way faster than my XP was.(XP is a thing of the past on my laptop).
    Here is an Idea of how fast.

My laptop is a P4 1.6 with the stock bari 2.4 kernel
    I downloaded openoffice.org and when I hit the icon it comes up immediately. I get the little progress indicator for about a second then I am writing. It's fast

Anyway my two cents worth for me it's Slackware.
    Mike

Linux Newbie
    apt-get ftw!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    honestly it should be which linux os has the best software package.....
    cause if im wrong isnt all the distro's just the same at the kernel level!? all linus's kernel.. ....
    i personally run suse 9.1 on my personal computer
    debian on my work computer
    and fedora core 2 on my work server

personally for a something that u dont wanna fuss with suse 9.1 is a very good OS its what truely converted me to the linux world...even though i dabbled in it for a while....

debian is not bad also apt get rocks!

fedora....i would leave it to servers its a lil chunky from time to time.... and it just doesnt come with multimedia support outta the box like suse does...

by the way i dont think its in the /proc/usb/devices i think it throws usb stuff in the /media folder..... atleast when i plug my flashdrive or camera in it shows up in /media

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I put off posting to this thread because "best distro" varies from person to person.
    I agree with this comment strongly. The quesiton is this: Why or for which aim will you use Linux?

So there is no best distro, but there can be poor distros like Lindows or with its new name Linspire
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Just Joined!
    I am running Suse 9.1 personal right now and I would like to know which distro would be considered the best for GAMING or do I just need to download updates needed for gaming.

And if I only need to get updates like drivers and RPM and such, What are the best places to get them. So far I go to RPMSEEK to get my RPM.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane
    I am running Suse 9.1 personal right now and I would like to know which distro would be considered the best for GAMING or do I just need to download updates needed for gaming.
    Ah, now there's a little less subjective question! Being a gamer myself, I'll offer what I've noticed and let you be the judge.

NOTE: I only use Nvidia, so whenever you see "3D drivers" mentioned I'm talking about Nvidia's drivers, not ATI's. Don't get me started on ATI.

Debian works okay once you get the 3D drivers installed, but they're not quite so easy to install via apt as they are for non-apt distros (I've had no luck running the Nvidia script on Debian).

SuSE is what I run games on at the moment, and I've had no trouble with it. I *don't* recommend installing 3D drivers through YOU however (the auto-update program). I highly recommend you install them via the script from Nvidia's site, but make sure you install your kernel sources first. Also, I don't think SuSE Pro comes with 'make' installed either, so throw that on as well. For Personal Edition, you're on your own.

Fedora Core 2 runs most everything I want to run as well. No real difference in performance as far as I can tell between SuSE and Fedora Core 2, and they're both RPM-based distros. For most commercial games you won't need to worry what the package system is however since they have their own installers.

For downloading OSS games, I use apt in Debian and yum in Fedora Core 2. They work basically the same, just update your package lists with an 'apt-get update' or a 'yum update' and find the name of the game you want, then 'apt-get install frozen-bubble' or 'yum install frozen-bubble' (one of my personal favorites).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks techieMoe.

I am going to go to Nvidia for the driver for my video card on my PC an as for the ATI video card on my laptop...I don't really play high res video games on it anyway, I played on my laptop simcity 3000 and it looked ok and for those type of games, it is fine the way it is right now.

So I will stick with Suse and install what I need to play the games I need.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2