Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
OK, I'm now using SuSE and having major trouble because the folder /proc/usb/devices doesn't exist and it looks for that. Anyway I was wondering is there any Linux OS that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux OS?

OK, I'm now using SuSE and having major trouble because the folder /proc/usb/devices doesn't exist and it looks for that.

Anyway I was wondering is there any Linux OS that has the best interface, and easiest to use out there?

Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    Personally, I think SuSE is the best. Although 9.1 is buggy, I never had any problems with 9.0. I'm trying Mandrake 10.0 right now, and its not too bad...but my Sound Blaster Live! refuses to work and after getting some updates all of my fonts got screwed up.

As far as interface goes, all the Linux distributions are fairly standard because they all use either KDE or Gnome. The only difference would be Control Panels and I think YaST from SuSE wins there again.

I've heard some good things about Yoper, so I think I'll try that next.

The only thing I can recommend to you is to read some reviews on the internet and try to find the linux distribution that works best with your hardware. From what I've experienced in the years that I've been using Linux is that the software can vary a lot from release to release.

Anyway, according to SuSE's website, 9.2 Professional should be out in the beginning of November, so I'm pretty much just waiting for that.

Good Luck.

I put off posting to this thread because "best distro" varies from person to person. My personal leanings are also toward SuSE 9.1, but only the Professional version. I haven't experienced *any* bugginess problems with it, however.

I am also fond of Debian-based distros like Mepis. If you have a spare harddrive and broadband, I recommend downloading several (or ordering them cheap from LinuxCD.org) and trying them all out. Each has a particular personality to it, just like the people who use them. You'll find one that fits you.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    /dev/usb is not about your distro, it is about your kernel.
    try loading modules of usb.
    Have a nice day

there are porbably something close to a few hundred post on this, if you really want to know our opinion, almost everyone has something on them. If you want something specific, please post again in this thread, you will get a better response.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

DataMatrix,

you will find all the distro's info here: www.distrowatch.com i personally had better results using fc2, mandrake OK and same for slackware but all my hardware worked fine under fc2.

From a "fire-and-forget" point of view, I'd go for Fedora (as I did ).

Just Joined!
    Easy to use - Mandrake and Linspire

For something that is even less like Windows but is still easy to use and has a nice installation interface, try the distro I use - Slackware 10.

I have had really good luck with Fedora (and redhat 9 still for that matter) ever since finding APT.

I think I am also going to give Yoper a try, I keep hearing nothing but good things in this forum

Just Joined!
    I am using SuSE but until there is more game support for Linux, i'm always gonna need Windows .

SuSE is pretty easy but I wanted to know the Linux OS's ups and downs concerning the distro.

Thanks for your replies, i'll be sure to look into them .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast