Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone else noticed numerous online video players requiring Windows or Mac to play videos? Netflix and ABC specifically require Windows or Mac OS to view videos. Firefox is listed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trouble with online video players

Has anyone else noticed numerous online video players requiring Windows or Mac to play videos? Netflix and ABC specifically require Windows or Mac OS to view videos. Firefox is listed with each one as an acceptable browser. However, I have tried to play videos there in Firefox, using Dreamlinux as my OS. I get a message saying something like, "oops, your operating system is not supported."

Is there any way around this, using FOSS? I don't want to be stuck paying for an OS that I don't like, and don't want in order to watch videos online.

I don't understand why a certain OS would be required. I can play videos in Adobe format, YouTube, etc, without any problems. So it appears to me to be a website decision, rather than a technical issue. Am I wrong?

Greg

If you are talking about Windows media player plugin,
    you can install totem-mozilla to play wmv streams on web
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

I wish I was

Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild View Post
    If you are talking about Windows media player plugin,
    you can install totem-mozilla to play wmv streams on web
    I can play any Windoze media file. However, ABC and Netflix, among others, will not allow a linux system to get to the files to try playing them.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by graphicks View Post
    I can play any Windoze media file. However, ABC and Netflix, among others, will not allow a linux system to get to the files to try playing them.

Greg
    About the only thing you can do is send an email to the webmaster/tech support and blast them for being in the 1990's, tell them you want to know why they will not support your platform of choice when the only problem is politics because your OS will support their software. I mean even MSN will let Linux run videos. Tell them what you have told us here.
    Maybe if you posted their email address here, you might get people to click on it and send an email too, the more complaints they get the more likely they will address the problem.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I sent that email to ABC. However, Netflix only has a telephone number to call. There are others that do the same things.

On a good note, Hulu will work great with Linux. I have watched episodes of some of my favorite shows from childhood (like Emergency and The Fall Guy on Hulu without any problems whatsoever.

Mainly I just wanted to vent my frustration and give the bad publicity online that I will also give to people I know in person.

Thanks,
    Greg

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, any company that want's my eyes on their site is SOL if they don't allow me to use Linux. Even the pinheads at Fox let me use Linux to view their video content.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!