Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've had a lot of trouble with the Raid array I have tried to setup. Originally I had a 4 disk Raid-5 array, where the two first disks fell out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Never ending Raid problems

I've had a lot of trouble with the Raid array I have tried to setup. Originally I had a 4 disk Raid-5 array, where the two first disks fell out randomly due to firmware problems. (Thank you Seagate!) I bought a fifth disk and added it to the array at one time when one of the unstable disks had failed, which I think started some sort of automatic recovery. And I had a somewhat functioning array for a short while. After changing motherboard and removing the other unstable disk (in preparation for replacing it with another drive) I had some slight trouble mounting the array, possibly since the disks had changed mount-points. I did get them mounted, and I did see a list if files in the filesystem when the computer crasched and I had to reset it. Now, the array won't come online. It insists it has two disks plus one spare, which isn't enough to start it up.

If possible, I would like to recover the data on the disks. Please advice. I really have no Idea what I am doing, and I don't want to make things worse.

Just Joined!
    Are you using Software or Hardware RAID? If you are using hardware RAID there should be a screen before boot up with RAID configuration settings. You should be able to go into there and change the spare drive to a normal drive. If you are using software RAID you might look for a live cd that has RAID utilities on it and see if you cannot either repair it or recover it from there. I'm not an expert on RAID but I hope this helps at least a little

- John

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your reply. I am using Software Raid on the (probably) latest x64-server-Ubuntu, and it is not the system disc that is raided, so I can install anything I need for the recovery. However, I don't know what tools to use, or commands to write.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Would you per chance have a file /etc/raidtab. This file on some Linux distributions holds the information on the RAID configuration. If you do have this file you might be able to manually edit it and change the spare drive to a used one. Another option would be to re-create the array. I'm not sure if this would erase all your data but you might be able to attempt to re-create the array using the 'mdadm' command. But as I said when you do this I'm not sure whether it will just re-create the array or erase the drives also. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Good Luck,
    John

Just Joined!
    No, there is no /etc/raidtab file. There is a /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file, but it contains no information on these disks. I might be able to fake some data that lets me mount the array, or use mdadm, but I am uncertain if it would start some resync that would destroy the filesystem.

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with this and don't have any hardware to practice on. Maybe another user here can help.

Sorry,
    John

Just Joined!
    I understand. Thank you for your help, though. I appreciate it.