Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have several partitions on a hard drive, let's call it sdb. I want to copy them all to a larger drive, let's call it sdc. I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

changing partition size.

hi,
    i have several partitions on a hard drive, let's call it sdb. I want to copy them all to a larger drive, let's call it sdc. I want to expand sdb1/sdc1 to fill up the remaining space while keeping sdb2-8 exactly the same. sdb1 is the boot partition with Linux installed on an ext2 filesystem.

I've managed to recreate the partitions on sdc as per my requirements, and I've dd'ed sdb2-8 to sdc2-8. I've also dd'ed the MBR from sdb to sdc, then modified the MBR partition table values to keep it consistent with the actual partitions, and fdisk recognizes the updated sdc paritions correctly. However, when I dd sdb1 to sdc1, this also seems to change the partition size of sdc1 to that of sdc1 when I mount sdc1 and check it with df.

How do I change the partition size of sdc1 while having the contents of sdb1?

tpl
    Linux User
    did you try gparted?
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

Linux Newbie
    Yup but gparted doesn't allow me to specify the exact size with the GUI.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
    Yup but gparted doesn't allow me to specify the exact size with the GUI.
    strange I did it allready with GParted several times. Are there different versions?

Linux Newbie
    You're able to specify the exact size in number of blocks/sectors? All I get is a slider.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
    You're able to specify the exact size in number of blocks/sectors? All I get is a slider.

I do have a slider and there I can change partitions for example:
    I do have 1GB + 2GB and at the end 3GB free.
    Then I add the 3GB to the partition with 2GB.
    In there I can move data to the end of the partition and snipp away from the beginning => 1GB + 3GB free + 2 GB
    Now I can unite the free with the first partition.
    That's the way I do.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks. I need to have the precision down to LBA though. I ended up recreating the partitions with fdisk and then copying the old partition data over with dd and Acronis.