Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to know the Linux equivalents (if there are any) to Windows' disk defragmenter, device manager, scan disk, internet preferences, etc. If there is no equivalent an explanation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System utilities

I would like to know the Linux equivalents (if there are any) to Windows' disk defragmenter, device manager, scan disk, internet preferences, etc. If there is no equivalent an explanation of why would be helpful.

Re: System utilities

Quote Originally Posted by Messenjah
    I would like to know the Linux equivalents (if there are any) to Windows' disk defragmenter, device manager, scan disk, internet preferences, etc. If there is no equivalent an explanation of why would be helpful.
    1)Disk Defrag = fsck (which stands for filesystem check)
    2)Device Manager = Well what do you mean by that?
    3)Scan Disk = fsck again
    4)Internet Preferences = Again what do you mean by that? For internet preferences like cookies and fonts and stuff, that'll vary from browser to browser. If you mean network connections and crap, then that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
    I'll be more detailed on 2 & 4, just lemme know what you need
    -lakerdonald

Linux does not need to defrag, the FS' that are used organise files in a way that is mostly self sufficent. most major disrtos now have some sort of GUI utility such as YasT Drakeconf etc etc.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    The things you are asking about are not really "Linux" ways of doing something, but rather how does any one distro do any one task. Suse will do things in a similar fashion to Redhat/fedora but each will have itís own idiosyncrasies. If you post what distro you are using and what you are trying to do you will probably get better answers.

As an example with device managers Ė Suse does have something kind of like windows (yast) but RedHat/fedora really doesnít have one centralized manager. You kind of have to dig around a little more in Redhat/Fedora.

Re: System utilities

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    2)Device Manager = Well what do you mean by that?
    Device Manager, I think Messenjah refers to a sanp-in to the MMC (management console) of Windows NT(read 5.0+ (windows 2000)) (there's a siminlar feature under Win9x/Me's "System properties", don't remember how NT4 and prior did it) which shows all devies that windows knwos/thinks the comptuer has and windows recognises (read: even those regcognised as "Unknown"), it also provides a rather easy and limied set of configurations for some devices that allows it.
    I think KDE has got some similar "Settings Central" (I can't check now as I'm in gentoo now not my fedora c1 install, where I got KDE installed) - not sure though. Tools like lspci lists all pci devices, usbview shows usb devices, and then there's quite a few (pseudo) files on /proc and /sys - but afaik no manager.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.