Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do you uninstall applications such as guile ?? infact how do you uninstall anything that you have installed with ./configure & make ??? I'm rather new to this.... thanks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

removing installed applications....

How do you uninstall applications such as guile ?? infact how do you uninstall anything that you have installed with ./configure & make ???

I'm rather new to this....

thanks in advance....

Linux User
    you can use "checkinstall" or use "make uninstall" if that is in the make file. good luck!

Just Joined!

Thank you...

that's the baby - make uninstall - -seems to work - does that mean iit's removed all traces of the package ? - I'm trying to keep a neat installation

BUT what if I've deleted the directory that I ran the ./configure from ???

thanks for your help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Mmmmm

Actually - whilst it said it was uninstalling and the script did seem to do lots of rm, the guile program is still in the /usr/bin directory !!!

nightmare...

Linux Guru
    The source package would have installed the binary in /usr/local/bin. Don't you have the guile RPM installed as well?

Just Joined!
    I downloaded the tar.gz file - unpacked it in a directory - and according to the readme I just needed to run ./configure & make

Correct me if I'm wrong but RPM is another method to install and handle packages ???

thanks
    mike

Linux Guru
    Yeah, that's right. The thing is that the RPMs that come with the distributions usually install files in /usr/bin, while source packages usually install in /usr/local/bin by default. Therefore, I suspect that you have a guile RPM installed as well. Run "rpm -q guile" to see if that's the case.

Just Joined!

guile

thanks for the sanity check.....

guile not installed - maybe I'm just being paranoid about installing stuff on linux.....and trying to keep it clean...

it's all good fun.